01 Camry Check Engine Light

Hello...

I have an 01 Camry. The check engine light has come on. It has been on for about 2 weeks. The car has been running great, but until today I can feel some hesitation as I am driving down the road, like it isn't getting enough gas, or bad gas. I am going to have it decoded today. Can by some chance a bad fuel filter make the CEL come on? I am thinking it is the O2 sensor since that is the most common thing for the CEL to come on, and I have noticed that my gas mileage has dropped.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Reply to
Camrygirl

Hi Camrygirl, There's no way to know for sure what the problem is until you get the codes pulled. Post them and also 4cyl or 6 ?

Reply to
hbuck

Well, I got it decoded yesterday. It showed a P0440 code, which could be a loose gas cap, which I did have a faulty gas cap in October and I bought a new one from Toyota and if I remember correctly, a P0720 code. That is the O2 sensor code. My car has 112,000 miles on it, so it makes sense that the O2 went out. So, I am going to try that first. So, my next question is do I replace the part, then clear the codes?

I have a 01 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 4 Cylinder

Reply to
Camrygirl

Haynes manual possibilities for P0440 are: vapor pressure sensor malfunction/ fuel tank cap damaged or loose,wore out/ vacuum hose leaking,blocked,disconnected./ fuel tank damaged/ charcoal canister damaged There is no P0720 listed, must be wrong number. Codes that show possible problems with o2 sensor would be: P0125,P0130,P0133,P0135,P0136,P0141,P0150,P0153,P0155,P0171,P0172,P0174,P0175,P0420. Some of these codes show other possibilities besides the o2 sensor for example p0420 lists catalytic converter as another possibility. But to answer your question, yes,clear the codes after replacing the part. The CEL light will go out on its own but it may take a long time.And if you didnt fix the problem it wont ever go out.

-Good Luck

Reply to
hbuck

Ok....here are the codes....

P0171 P0420 P0440 (which I got this before when it was a loose gas cap) P1130

Are you saying that it isn't the O2 sensor? Could it be something else.

Reply to
Camrygirl

Ok....here are the codes....

P0171 P0420 P0440 (which I got this before when it was a loose gas cap) P1130

Are you saying that it isn't the O2 sensor? Could it be something else.

Reply to
Camrygirl

I'm not a Tech.I was just trying to provide you with some information to help make your decision.Sometimes with just one or two codes showing it is possible even for Do It Yourselfers like me to determine what the problem it is.But with four codes showing I would let a good shop sort it out.

Reply to
hbuck

">

I'd have to get to a shop computer to research some, but anyway... something is telling your car to run lean. Now there is no O2 code, so i'm not concerned with it; the 0420 code can be a post cat o2 sensor result; but it doesn't adjust the cars computer (code 0171) I'd ignore code 0440 for now and worry about it when you get the other issues worked out. Code 1130 is the one I'd look hard at, starting by inspecting and cleaning the MAF; otherwise look into replacing the air fuel sensors (but this part is just a guess without looking at scan tool data)

Perhaps a knowledgeable shop would be a good choice; because some of these parts can be expensive and you don't want to throw money away.

Reply to
Steve H

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help. I was told that it "could" be a bad MAF sensor. Would I just be better off going to Toyota and getting a complete diagnostic test to see exactly what it is?

I know those parts can be expensive, and I would hate to buy the part and it not be the problem.

Reply to
Camrygirl

That would be best. We just had a Nissan in our shop and the computer said MAF sensor; all indications told me in my heart is was the MAF sensor, but the cost of the sensor was over 400 dollars. So if I was right good; but wrong the shop eats 400 dollars. (I was right)

Reply to
Steve H