02 - 03 Camry V6 XLE & V6 SE - TSB BR006-02 for Front Brake Vibration

For the last 10,000 miles I had bad vibration in the front end when = braking at high speed only and only after the brakes were hot. I blamed = the tires for this problem and had them rotated and balanced four times = without and good results, inspecting the brakes on the rack showed no = problem.

After searching the TSB sites I fount the TSB BR006-02 that address the = brake problems on my car, the dealer didn't know anything about this TSB = and after I placed a copy of it in his hand he said that he'll check = with Toyota about doing this repair work.

Today I brought the car for service and ask them to do the TSB, the = technician had to order the kit parts and he will call me when they = arrives in the next few days.

My car has 32,000 mile and 21 months old; it is still covered by the 36 = months/36,000 miles warranty. The maintenance assistance manager told = me that the warranty would not cover the TSB repair because brake items = are covered only for 12 month or 12,000 miles. Looking at my warranty = information book it indicate that only brake pad are not covered because = they are Maintenance Expense item, but my brake pads have more then 50% = left on and under normal condition replacement is not required.

Should I wait till after they install the TSB kit to clear the warranty = coverage problem or should I call Toyota Customer Assistance Center and = clear this problem before they do the work?

For your information I included a copy of the TSB below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------- TOYOTA TSB Number BR006-02 for Front Brake Vibration Models: '02 - '03 Camry (V6 XLE & V6 SE) Issued on December 24, 2002

Introduction: Under cretin usage conditions, some 2002 - 2003 model year Camry = vehicles may exhibit front brake vibration. The rotor and pad have been = improved to correct this condition. The new rotor and pad must be = installed as a set. The revised parts have been introduced into = production.

Applicable Vehicles:

2002 - 2003 model year Camry V6 XLE and V6 SE vehicles produced before = the VINs shown below.

Production Change Information: Starting VIN: 4T1BF3#K#3U037796, 4T1BF3#K#3U544996, JTDBF3#K#30103561

Parts Information:

04002-18133 Repair Kt, Pad & Disc (Kit contains 2 brake rotors and brake = pads for both front calipers)

Repair Procedure:

  1. R&R the brake pads and rotors following the procedures outlined in = the applicable Camry Repair Manual.
  2. Road test the vehicle.

Warranty Information: OP Code: BR2006; Description: Replace Front Rotors, Pads and Shims (if = Needed) for Vibration (Both Sides); Time:0.7; OFP:43512-33100, T1:21; = T2:44

Applicable Warranty*: This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This = warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs = first, from the vehicles in-service date.

  • Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based on a = customer's specific complaint.
Reply to
Jack

Call and write now so that you can start a file. This sounds like an expensive fix and clearly you should not have to pay for it. Build a case for small claims court.

[...]

Dusty

I agree. Put everything in writing and open a file. If you are experiencing brake system problem that may be a safety issue, you should also file with U.S. NHTSA (see contact information in your Toyota manual).

Dusty wrote:

Reply to
John

I just want to say thanks Jack and Dusty. I was researching this issue for a long time until I stumbled upon this post with the TSB info. I have a 2002 Camry SE V6. Vibration every 10K miles or so. Called Toyota, and since my car was already over the 36,000 miles, they said it's not covered, but it would be up to the dealer. I was surprised that the customer relations manager called me, and said that they will pick up the tap for the TSB kit as a "gesture of good will". I got it in the shop today, and they had it done in about 2 hours!

In any case, you do need to call in. It's probably better if you call Toyota and have them deal with the dealer, because as Dusty said, the dealers are not very "educated" about anything TSB!

Although it's a Toyota Service Bulletin, which is similar to a recall, don't expect a letter from toyota instructing you to bring your car in for the TSB kit install.

The following website is good if you want to stay up-to-date with all recall and service bulletins,

look for the "Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins" link and find the year and make of your car.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

Sounds like standards are falling,- a mistake to save TOY 10 bucks in mnfg may cost 100s in recall

Reply to
mark Ransley

All - thanks for the info! I too have a 2002 V6 Camry XLE with the exact same problem, and I was debating whether or not to fork over the money to get it all fixed now. I will take this info to the dealer and hopefully get their support in doing this under warranty (just barely w/ 35k miles).

Reply to
Shawn