02 Camry ATF change

By using a flush unit you are changing the fluid.The solvent is what gets filtered not the atf. Cant say ive seen a machine that will suck it out a dipstic tube.....but anything is possible. The machine I have sets up in series to the trans via the cooler lines. I cant even begin to fathom the principle of adding new fluid to old and saying that its not contaminated the second pump pressure is obtained. dave

Reply to
videokid400

So it's not just a 'reverse flush' then.

Maybe you 'qualified' people need to think about your answers and be clearer. Most of the people here do their own work and wouldn't have realised you meant 'machine flush'

Reply to
FantomFan

If you read the post as I said it is a cyclic flush which flushes in both directions. We have been talking about machine flushing almost since the start of the thread.

Reply to
videokid400

Never had a tranny (esp one with *BLACK* fluid) go belly-up after beiing flushed? We had two (US Ford/Mazda) Escorts drop dead miles from the flush place! Never ever did another one. Drain and fill...

Reply to
Hachiroku

sure gess it happens , id be looking at the machine , flush pressures and solvent type before blaming the system or method.

Reply to
videokid400

It's probably a damn good idea, considering the cost of a new transmission.

Reply to
sharx35

Whats a good idea???

Reply to
videokid400

"Severe" term includes almost anyone living in a city or in climate with cold winters.

Reply to
sharx35

Your pattern of changing out your ATF.

Reply to
sharx35

Just a bit more ATF (~8-10 oz) would come out if you drop the pan and remove the strainer. It's not worth putting a hose down the dipstick tube.

The strainer does catch metal shavings and can't get rid of them obviously. As I said in another message, I'm going to shorten the strainer interval from 24K miles to 15K miles. I do the work so an extra $20 is not much to make the low cost (and relatively dirty) Aisin tranny run as long as possible. The Fram ATF kit with a cork- rubber gasket for < $20 is a good deal along with Valvoline GM-Dextron III fluid.

You start getting marketing materials after 4 years, so Toyota's marketing department is not going to recommend shorter intervals when even Chrysler trannys can go 150K miles without a fluid change for Taxi service in Las Vegas' desert heat. Because after 4 years many Camrys go into used car lots and who cares after that. ;)

See "Take care of your transmission":

johngdole