'02 Camry OD clunk

When I feather the gas on my '02 Camry SE 6 cyl auto (60k mi.) as I'm drifting along in 35 - 45 mph traffic I experience a marked 'thud' as the overdrive kicks out. Never happens if I turn the overdrive off. It seems to happen more when the engine is cold. ATF is red and full - smells OK - what else should I check?

Thanks for any help.

JustDave

Reply to
JustDave

IE ... down_shifts from 4th(OD) to 3rd ... semi-cold trany clutches bear the brunt of speeding up the semi-cold engine

Your 'rating' as to smooth/moderate/harsh shift . What symptoms when ... . accel positioned full off . " 'feathered', as you say . " full on, floored and ... "at" =all= above when trany is a) warm, b) cold(

Reply to
0_Qed

Thanks for the reply. It is more of a thud than a clunk, and not the normal downshift when cold. I'm the original owner and this is a new phenomena. Hopefully the dealer can analyze the problem when I take it in.

JustDave

Reply to
JustDave

Overdrive does not engage until motor is warm apx 120f. Something is not right for it to "clunk"

Reply to
m Ransley