03 radio

I have the JBL system and it seems that the max volume at times is not enough. It seems lower with the radio than with the cd or cassette. I don't want to blow out the windows but at times at highway speeds with certain cd's or tapes it just isn't loud enough.

Is there a fix for this that does not include replacing system with after market? Is this low volume normal for this car? This is my first Camry and have no reference for comparison.

Reply to
me

I would replace the rear speakers first but buy them on their efficency rating it might be SPL or db per watt Crutchfield has them rated that way.

Reply to
ransley

If you blast music down the street and consider the volume too low, that's one thing.

But if you don't and it's too low with the knob turned all the way up, then your audio system has a defect. Get it fixed under warranty. You might have a problem with the head unit if the volume level varies like that.

Reply to
johngdole

If you only start to notice it recently then the warranty has already expired probably.

Try measuring the output voltage from the channels; then measure the impedance of the speakers. Then try

johngdole

If the local audio people don't have an answer, I'd start looking at auctions at ebay ....sometimes very expensive radios (originally) go very cheap. good luck.

Reply to
mack

Thanks for the responses. I have decided to start replacing the system with after market a little at a time. I am starting with speakers first which brings up another question.

What is the size of the front door speakers? I have looked at a couple of sites and have been told 6x9 but only if they are shallow, which another site says they don't make them that shallow. And others say they are 6 1/2. Crutchfield states both. In one area they say 6x9 but say none will fit and in another area they list 5 1/2 and 6 1/2.

I don't want to remove the door panel just to look. I would rather buy the speakers and only remove the panel once. So can anyone tell me which size I need to purchase? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
me

Removing a door panel isn't all that difficult or time-consuming. And a helluva lot more reliable than asking a bunch of strangers a continent away from you their advice as to the size of the speakers. what if you relied on my telling you that the speakers are 5X8 1/2 and you dut ifully went out and bought them, and then found out that I was wrong ? Take the door panel off.

Reply to
mack

Let me get this straight. What your saying is that this group should not exist. Following your logic means everyone who post a question here should not believe the response they get and should just blindly go about doing their repairs without any help or guidance from people who have already been through the same experience.

But since this group does exist I ask the question. Responses like yours are uncalled for. Why do you even bother?

Reply to
me

crutchfield.com actually suggests 6-1/2 to replace the 6x9 in the rear for earlier Camrys. But one would think the 6x9 would fit, even with a bit of drilling, right? With the rear speakers they'll give you adpaters for the 6-1/2s.

But you want to get the component speaker system where you stick the little tweeters up by the mirros instead of blasting down low at the carpet.

I'd always like to find the faulty component first, just to know.

Reply to
johngdole

I have replaced the rear deck already. went with 6x9 since that is what was there, the only difference was the screw holes did not line up.

upfront the stock speakers include the tweets that are mounted in the dash. when i figure out which speakers i will be putting in the doors i will most likely get the components. if the tweets don't fit in the stock location (which they probably wont) i will mount them in the same location but on top of the stock grille on the dash.

Reply to
me