'04 Camry front end/steering problems

Just purchased a brand new '04 Camry, 5spd, 4 cyl, curtain air bags; special ordered it from Japan which took 3 mos. Went by the book and drove it no more than 60mph for the first 1000 miles. From the start, I didn't like the feel of the front end but couldn't pinpoint the problem, but once I started driving on the open road in WA where 70mph was the limit and passing sometimes at 80 mph, I knew I had a major problem on my hands, esp. if the road curved in any way. The front end and steering wheel would shake, and it was real scary at 80mph. My '93 Camry which I just sold for the new car handled this just fine and had

228K. The new Camry got its wheel balance and alignment checked , both were OK. It's now in the dealer for a look over and I won't be surprised if they tell me it's fine. After researching the internet, it's apparent other folks are having similar problems and its a design flaw in the front end; Toyota to speed production redesigned the front end to use fewer parts and the front end now suffers greatly. The question is now, what to do? A part of me is royally ticked because of all the effort to find a dealer to special order the car and wait for it to arrive, only to have it be defective. I would have no problem taking it in the 4 times and have them say the same thing, then file a lemon law claim, take the arbiter for a ride, then get a full refund. Another part of me says, look you probably got the best '04 Camry Toyota can make, so adapt and make them give you the extended warranty or else return it. Opinions??? Thank you. WG
Reply to
WGeorge

I would have them move front tires to back and see what happens.

Reply to
Art

I reallly don't know if this would apply to your situation?

There is a Technical Service Bulletin TSB ST002-04 for the 2004 Camry for the steering pulling or drifting to the left.

I had my 2004 in for this fix and now the car drifts both to the left and right, depending on the road surface.

Here is what is involved for the fix.

Remove both front struts and rotate upper spring seat. Rotate tires.

4 wheel alignment.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
dr. dig

To both of you, this sucks! One thing I liked about all my Toyotas was the nice, crisp steering. They have always had excellent steering. I wouldn't stand for it!

I would go back to the dealer, call Customer Care, whatever and tell them I want the car made right, and that my older Camry didn't have this problem at 228K, yada,yada,yada.

I posted a message that became quite a thread in a.a.toyota, where I started it off with Toyota Quality Slipping?

Sometimes getting too big costs too much, and they have to realize their Loyal Customer Base won't stand for Shoddy Product. If I wanted to put up with something like this, I'd guy GM or Chrysler!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Reply to
WGeorge