05 Camry Leaking Gas

I bought a brand new 05 Camry XLE a week ago. During the past weekend, I found out the car is leaking gas at the Fuel Rail / Injector. The car is now at the dealer for repair.

I'm curious how often this type of things (broken new car) happens. Has anybody else had similar experience? I have a 2000 Sienna and never had any problems in 5 years.

What can I do if it has a bad thread in the engine block for the fuel injector? Can I ask them to replace it with another new car? I really don't want to accept it if it has bad fuel injector thread on the engine block and they have to somehow patch the bad thread to fix it.

Otherwise it's a great car.

Thanks for your advise in advance.

--
ZR
Distressed / upset Camry Fan.

My first new car was a 1981 Corolla Wagon which I bought for about $7K in El Paso, Texas. I proudly drove it home to a border town a couple of hundred miles distant and pulled into my carport. In the morning, there was a nice puddle of oil under the engine - a leaky rear main in my brand new car. The dealer fixed it, of course, but it was never new again. I feel your pain. jor

Reply to
jor

1974 Corolla 1200, First car, and brand new at that. At 9,000 blew the rear end. At the dealer for almost 3 weeks, waiting for parts from Japan. When I got it back, it was still my new car! 1980 Corolla SR-5. Can't remember what the problem was, but one day at the dealer cured it. 1978 Corolla 1200. Can't remember the problem there, either.

Every new Toyota I have ever had has had some problem within the first

10,000 miles, always covered under warranty, and never recurred.

Except for the rear axle, they were all attributed to problems with shipping. They all ran new for a couple hundred thousand miles afterwards. Out of curiosity, was the OP's '05 Japanese? (J as the first character of the VIN?)

Reply to
hachiroku

I suspect that it is a fuel rail problem only. Fairly common these days because of high pressure gas pumps required by fuel injection. Chrylser had to recall tons of cars a fuel years ago to replace fuel rails. My neighbor just had a Cadillac recalled and a week after it was fixed the engine caught fire. I would not park the Camry in the garage for a few weeks but if it holds up I would presume the repair is permanent.

Reply to
Art

Fuel leaks are not common in any car of any brand.

The fuel injectors and rails are not attached to the engine block. They are in the head, which is easier to replace than the entire block. If the connection between the fuel rail and injector were bad, a new fuel rail and/or injector would make it as good as new. There is no thread patching because the union where fuel flows between he fuel injector and rail would be replaced if bad. Any threads holding the injector in place don't have fuel flowing past them.

--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

in El

hundred

nice

The

pain.

I think it was made right here across the river in Kenturky (I live in Cincinnati). It starts with 4.

But they still need 1 week to get the parts. I'd be willing to get the parts for them. Guess I'll have to wait.

ZR

Reply to
XYZ ABC

had

neighbor

caught

Good advise! I was thinking of asking the dealer to tow the car because of the risk of catching fire. It seems it leaks only when engine is running. Besides it's probably not a good ideas to have someone tow a brand new car. So I drove to the dealer and it didn't catch fire, :).

ZR

Reply to
XYZ ABC

I sell used cars. My boss HATES Toyotas, but gets them because they sell so damn well! The reason he hates them? A similar part on a Ranger that sells for $1.20 sell for $3.50 from Toyota (these are the plastic clips that hold the grille in...) Also, he needed a bracket to hold the fan on, had to buy the bearing and something else to get the bracket, $189. The bracket for a Ranger was $29...

I find this odd, since all the Toyotas we have had up until now are mostly US content!!!!

Reply to
hachiroku