05 Camry: what oil to use?

The "new" Camry needs to go in for it's first oil change. It gets driven about 15K miles a year and I intend to get the oil changed (at a very competent independent mechanic) every 5K miles. The car is in NC and the driving is about a 50-50 mix of city and highway driving. I expect to keep the car 8 years or 120000 miles. That being said should use conventional oil or one of the more expensive synthetics?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Russell

Reply to
Russell

Answering the question is answering it. Of course, use synthetics. But good quality synthetics. And while you are there, use it in the transmission as well. Wait untill your car is broken in.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

Any good quality oil should be more than sufficient to make only 120,000 miles if you change it every 5000 miles. I have always been satisfied with Havoline. My Sister has a 1997 Civic. It is just now passing 110,000 miles. Her oil has been changed whenever the oil change indicator built into the odometer turns red (which is about every 7500 miles). Her driving is around

50/50 as well. The rest of the car is looking old (paint fading, falling off, interior worn) but the engine is just fine. Synthetics provide a an extra margin of protection, but I doubt synthetic oil is economically justifiable in a relatively mild climate like NC unless you just want to feel good about the quality of the oil. If you are going to use synthetic oil, I'd go with Mobil 1.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I'd wait til you have more like 10k miles on it to switch to Mobile 1. I use Penn crude (Quakerstate, Kendall, Pennsoil, Castrol) personnally but I change ever 3-4k. Use a quality oil filter --- not a The "new" Camry needs to go in for it's first oil change. It gets driven

Reply to
Wolfgang

Of course, I meant "asking the question".... LOL

Reply to
Bassplayer12

My mechanic only uses Toyota filters - so that's what I'll be using. The car has 1200 miles on it. He suggested the first oil change at about 1500 miles. What's the reason for waiting till about 10K miles to switch to a synthetic?

Russell

Reply to
Russell

When synthetics first came in to common usage there was a theory that they were so slick that they prevented proper break-in of piston rings, which could lead to excessive oil consumption. It was probably BS then and is definitely BS now. If you want to use synthetics, there is no reason not to switch at your first oil change.

See

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You can easily use regular oil. Synthetics will be overkill and expensive in your non-turbocharged application. Every 5k miles is fine with "dino juice".

Reply to
Bob H

If you absolutely cannot afford a full synthetic (recommended) at least use a synthetic blend. You would be better off using full synthetic and changing oil at every 7500 miles, rather than using conventional oil changed at 5000 miles (that will offset some of the extra cost).

Use 5W-30 oil regardless of which type you choose. You can consider switching to a heavier viscosity when your engine gets a lot of miles and the valves/rings are showing some serious wear.

Reply to
Mark A

is your car not equipped with an owners manual? can you not READ it?

Reply to
I'm Right

Dino oil is, indeed fine but, synthetics reduce friction and heat. So, you get better fuel consumption, less wear and better use of the engine's available power.

Other than that, dino oil is just fine. (rolling eyes)

Reply to
Bassplayer12

I agree with Russell. Unless you have a defiant need for synthetic why pay the extra money ? Would be over kill. I have a 02 Camry that has been raised on Chevron 5/30 dino.Runs like a top. Best car I ever had.

Of course it's super Lo mileage (7,500). I'm retired since "94".Was a Mobil One salesman for five years,so I'm very familiar with what synthetics can do. Good Luck with your 05. =AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC= =AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Might be old thinking - but gas mileage seems to improve on Toyota after 10k so seems tlike there is some break in during the first 10k or so miles. Not to have the rings properly seat would be disaterous - hence the 10k caution on using synthetic. Toyota does recommend (but not in the OEM owners manual) synthetic in those years where engine sludging was a problem. Synthetics keep the engine very clean internally.

Reply to
Wolfgang

My dear, is there any thing in my post that leads you to believe that I've not read the manual? Let me not waste any more effort on this genius.

To all the other helpful folk: thanks for all the feedback. According to the 2005 manual, I need to change the oil every 5000 miles (or 6 months) - with no exception given for synthetics. And since the car gets driven 15000 miles a year it means three oil changes to maintain the warranty. In fact the manual has no mention of synthetics, which is what motivated my original post since I intend to keep the car for 8 years (120000 miles) I should have mentioned this before as I'm not sure all are familiar with the 5000 mile requirement (which if I remember correctly my '97 Camry didn't have).

Thanks,

Russell

Reply to
Russell

-I agree with Russell.

-Unless you have a defiant need for synthetic why pay the extra money ?

At the end of the year, how much more does synthetic oil cost? I don't think we're talking hundreds of dollars here. I think we waste much more in pops, chocolate bars, chips.

-Would be over kill.

-I have a 02 Camry that has been raised on Chevron 5/30 dino.Runs like a

-top.

-Best car I ever had.

-Of course it's super Lo mileage (7,500).

-I'm retired since "94".Was a Mobil One

-salesman for five years,so I'm very familiar with what synthetics can

-do.

-Good Luck with your 05. ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Reply to
Bassplayer12

Wolfgang wrote: . Toyota does recommend

The only information I've seen from Toyota to eliminate sludging is to change oil in proper intervals. I called my local dealer when this information was posted the first time, a short while back, about Toyota recommending synthetic to eliminate sludging and they state they have never heard of this. They would also like to have any references to this information just in case the general public was informed of something they weren't. If you have those references I would be more than happy to pass them on to my dealer. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

My handbook on my 1995 4 Cyl here in UK Gives 9000 miles as recommended oil changes.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

That's under SHOWROOM conditions which never exist in reality if the car is driven ANYWHERE.

Reply to
Sharx35

Toyota agrees with you. See

I copied the following from this reference:

"While synthetic oil may offer some benefits, in our high mileage tests with preventative maintenance performed at the recommended intervals, petroleum-based motor oil has provided excellent service at a reasonable cost. All Toyota vehicles come from the factory with petroleum-based engine oil."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In the US, the Toyota owner's guides includes a different maintenance schedule for "special operating conditions." Older Toyotas (circa 2000) had a 7500 normal service interval for oil changes and a 5000 mile interval for "special operating conditions" which included dusty roads and lots of short trips in very cold weather - conditions which probably don't affect the majority of Toyota owners in southern US climates. Since the oil sludge debacle, Toyota has elimated the 75000 mile oil change and recommends 5000 mile oil changes for all conditions (in the US). See

. I suspect this is veryconservative. As the OP pointed out, service intervals in other markets arefar longer. But then the oil specifications are different as well. So arethe driving conditions (in the UK, I would think they were worse than thesouthern US, but better than the northern US). Ed

Reply to
C. E. White