07 Cruise Control

Anybody having problems in the 07 5 Speed A/T cruise control? I have not driven a car with cruise control before. Is it normal for the car to shift to lower gear on a slight incline driving at 65-70mph with 4 passengers, 2 adults and 2 kids on board.

Reply to
EdV

Lonnie

Sure, if the incline is such that to maintain the speed you've chosen, it's necessary to downshift. Remember that the cruise control is programmed to maintain a speed, and if the higher gear is allowing the car to slow down going uphill, the control will choose a lower gear to maintain that speed. Think of it this way....if you had no cruise control, and you keep your foot on the accelerator going uphill at the same pressure, the car is going to slow down, because of the hill. So you either have to press further down to maintain the speed ...or slow down. If you press down, the car will increase speed by its acceleeration...and/or it may downshift into 3rd to give enough pep to take you to the top.

Reply to
mack

I see your point. By the way its a 4 cyl engine. and I really enjoy my

07, Thanks!

I looked on the earlier posts, I saw transmission shifting problems too (not cruise control though but on A/T slipping). I don't use cruise control on my everyday driving. I remember the issue when I drove from LA to San Francisco a couple of months ago during the long weekends. The transmission would downshift until engine speed would reach

3500-4000. The car did that several times, even at higher speeds of 75-80 mph (of course at higher rpms). I really thought during those times that I should have gotten the 6 cyl and also not used the cheaper fuel from COSTCO. My wife was asleep and I knew she felt the engine roar when the downshift occured.

I want to hear from you guys since I will going back to Toyota for my first 5,000 mile service. The cruise control was the least used device on my camry.

Reply to
EdV

have an 06 le 4 and it does the same thing. guess you have to pay for that 33-34 mph highway some way. i don't hardly ever use the cruise on my 06 because of this. say if i an driving 75 on the interstate and going up a grade will let up on the excellator a bit and the car might slow to 70 or so. then going down might get up to 78. this keeps the transmission from downshifting. know it might sound funny but don't like the rpms going to 4000 and above. these camrys are geared high. if you notice at 64 mph your rpms are just 2000 on the 4cyl, which is really low. thats why they get way up in the 30s on the road. you can get 500 plus miles on a tank on the road.

Reply to
Sonny Sonny

Sounds normal. The cruise control system doesn't deal very well on inclines. It has the tendency to open up the throttle more abruptly than drivers do and that will lead to down shifts.

Yes, this is in part because the engine doesn't produce enough torque to haul along even on adult. V6 would have less of this problem. Also if you were to slowly increase throttle manually there would be less downshifts than letting cruise control do it.

EdV wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Mine too. Incline requires more power/torque so it downshifts to maintain the desired speed.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Wright