'07 TPMS (tire pressure warning system)

I am wanting to get a new set of wheels for my '07 SE (17" x 7"). Stopped by the first dealer (Les Schwab) and was told that I also had to purchase new sensors for all four wheels (@ $106 each). Does this sound right? This is my first stop in researching the subject. Can't I just get new wheels?????? What will happen if I just put new wheels on without getting the new sensors installed?

Stan

Reply to
Stan Wright

If you choose to forego the safety benefits of the TPMS, there is no reason for you to pay for new sensors. I also don't understand why the old ones can't be transplanted.

Reply to
Nobody Important

What *I* can't understand is WHY anyONE would willing PAY to have such sensors on their vehicle. What ever happened to a good old walk-around the vehicle before driving off? Coupled with a monthly pressure check?

Reply to
Sharx35

Because flats happen on the road.

Reply to
ransley

I believe that they are now mandatory.

Both disappeared years ago.

Reply to
SMS

Because flats happen on the road

How the f*ck did society survive all those decades without such sensors? One can usually SENSE ride differences in time to avoid damage to the tire, you know.

.
Reply to
Sharx35

I know, but my family doesnt and has had flats on road from slow leakers, tires dont look bad these days unitl you are down to 15 lb, they are a good feature these sensors, but what the op says doesnt make sence. You hit a nail, in 15 minutes you are low, going 60mph, in

20 minutes you are a road hazard with your tire going flat. Sensors are great.
Reply to
ransley

Has anyone heard/experienced what will happen if one forgoes putting new ones on? Where exactly are they placed, anyway? I plan on leaving the OEM wheels with the snow tires on them, ready for winter swapping, while having a nicer looking wheel for the summer tires.....

Stan

Reply to
Stan Wright