0W-20 5W20

I got my camry oil changed a few days ago in a Toyota dealer. They used 5W-20 and some MOA additive as I have read from my bill. When I got home I checked the manual and it says use 5W-20 or 0W-20, and

0W-20 is best choice. I called the Toyota service manager and he told me I can get a free change oil using 0W-20 if I like and just call before coming in so he can have it arranged... what a guy.. Anyway, will that be harmful if I suddenly change my oil after a few days of using it, how many are using 0W-20 in 4 cyl Camrys.
Reply to
EdV

Toyota said you could use 5W20, so I don't see the problem? If you are in a relatively warm climate (i.e., anything south of northern Alaska), the difference is trivial.

I would not be happy about the use of the MOA additive. If you read your owner's guide, they'll tell you not to do that.

My SO has a 2007 RAV4. I've changed the oil twice now - the first time I used 0W20, the second 5W20, but only because the local store was out of 0W20. She is hinting she would prefer using 5W30......It's her car, I'll do what she wants. I've used 5W20 in several Fords with no ill affects. I suspect 5W20 will eventually become the standard for gasoline engines in the US (but not Europe). Of the major manufacturers only GM is holding the line and only specifying 5W30. However, I don't see any reason not to use 5W30 if you think a heavier oil is better. It probably won't extend the life of your engine, but it may help you sleep better at night.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Just curious? where do you live that you would need 0w20 oil ?AFAIK that grade is best used in a subzero climate

My 2002 Camry specifies 5w30 here in southern ontario

Reply to
mred

The viscosity difference between 0W-20 and 5W-20 is so small, its not worth worrying about.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Reply to
BigJim

I'm after the fuel saving and not for cold starting protection. My oil change will last me for about 6-7 months looking at my average usage. When the cold season goes back I will be due for another oil change.

How much MPG increase should I expect, the prices are appraching $3 a gallon. With free oil change I would do anything to save on gas. I just dont wanrt to ruin my engine If just incase I switch oil viscosity back and forth. would it?

Reply to
EdV

Not only will it not ruin your engine, you will also not notice any difference in any aspect of performance you can measure outside of a laboratory under totally controlled conditions.

Double Tap

Reply to
Double Tap

If the temperature range you operate in is suitable for 5W-20, then you're fine. In fact, I'd use the thickest oil approved for the temperature range.

Reply to
johngdole

It will not ruin your engine~! I had an `86Acord -4 which I used 15w40 deisel rate doil in in the summer for high speed higway travel and

5w30 in the winter for ease of starting .NEVER had a problem Ed
Reply to
mred