125K mile servicing

Hi,

I own a 1997 Toyota Camry and it has run close to 125000 miles now. I would like to know what kind of servicing/maintainence is required for the car now. I bought this car for $7000 and would like to know if the 125000 mile service would be expensive and how much it would cost me. The vehicle is running fine for me but if I need to spend a sizable amount on this I would prefer to sell the car.

Also my volume knob on the radio/stereo is broken. Is it replacable. One of my mechanics said I need to replace the entire stereo unit while another guy told me that he could go to the junkyard and just replace the knob. Not sure who is telling the right thing.

Any advises.

Thanks Karthik

Get your self a manual and follow it, I see you are one of those people that think gas is the only thing cars need on a regular basis and are to lazy to learn and read a manual.

Dunno about the volume know...

But no one is gonna be able to advise you on service without knowing the history of the car. What major services have been done? When? What mileage?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why can't you get just a knob for the stereo? I'd stay away from the first mechanic.

If you haven't done the timing belt, water pump, oil seals, plugs routine (for 90K miles), you are looking at an additional $1000 or so on top of the regular maintenance. Otherwise you should be looking at no more than $300 for a routine 30K-multiple "major maintenance". But you have to look for coupons in the mail.

Most of us here do our own work. No more than $50 of parts for 120K. Add about $200+ if you need a timing kit, valve cover gasket, water pump, drive belts, and oil seals.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Toyota sells the knob for most models of the radio. If not - contact me off newsgroup as I have several questionable OEM radios with good knobs. (remove obvious for email) - model and picture would help. I'd just get all the fluids changed (oil, trans, differential, radiator, brake, power steering). If it has never had the timing belt changed - its time for that ($200). Plus perhaps plugs, plug wires, distributer cap and drive belt.