15000 mile service for $179

Just called my local toyota dealer to schedule a 15000 service. Was told it would cost $179. What type of serivce should I get for this amount of money?

Reply to
Bill Compton

An engine oil trans oil and a lobster dinner, but you wont , you will get your wallet emptied, you are better off having someone else give you what you pay for.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Believe me, for Toyota, that's a relatively inexpensive one: basic service @ $75/hour a parts.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Bill Compton wrote: : Just called my local toyota dealer to schedule a 15000 service. Was told it : would cost $179. What type of serivce should I get for this amount of : money?

Realistically, you'll probably get an oil + filter change and them telling you they inspected some stuff.

b.

Reply to
<barry

Forget the 15,000 mile package deal. Look in your maintenance guide and determine those things which need to be performed. Forget about the "inspect or tighten" stuff. There is no chassis lube at 15,000 on a new car.

Then get a price quote from the dealer on each individual item that needs to be performed. Check to see if they have specials on these items. Shop around at other Toyota dealers.

Reply to
Mark A

In news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2173.public.lawson.webtv.net, mark Ransley being of bellicose mind posted:

Oh ... THAT post was useful. Do you feel better now for having vented a little? >:*P

Reply to
Philip ®

In news:_HHgb.2913$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net, Mark A being of bellicose mind posted:

Agreed. The Passport Scheduled Maintenance book included with the car. While the list (I'm looking at it now) amounts to changing the A/C air filter, engine oil and filter, rotate tires, and a lot of fluid and lose bolts inspections, I personally would add a transmission fluid change. NOT a trans flush, just a fluid change which is no more complicated than an engine oil change.

Reply to
Philip ®

Philip - Ya got to admit $179 is about double what it should cost. Tigthening loose bolts should be part of the warranty. Do agree on the trans fluid drain -- do the 03 up toyotas (Camry and 4Runner) take a fluid different than Dextron III? Is it mixable/equivalent to Dextron?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Philip , not venting, HUMOR, OP asked what he should receive for 179.. Point being more than he will get as dealers overcharge for this.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Yes, I change my transmission fluid at 15K. But it will not be included in the dealers 15K package deal.

Reply to
Mark A

In news:AUIgb.22942$k74.11959@lakeread05, Wolfgang being of bellicose mind posted:

I won't say with certainty if T-IV is required. The dipstick has stamped on it the required fluid. If T-IV is compatible with Dexron III is a "no" .... at present. I'm told bulk T-IV is on the way in which case you'll see the stuff retail auto parts stores eventually. $179 seems a bit high to a Do-It-Yourself'r but not "about double." You have oil, oil filter, A/C air filter, and then ... labor at around $75 per hour. I do not view "loosen bolts" as a warranty issue any more than tire wear should be a warranty issue. You drove it ... "it" loosened. Had you not driven the car, "it" would not have loosened. Put LockTite on "it" next time! ;-)

Reply to
Philip ®