1985 power antenna problems

I have an interesting problem with my 1985 Camry power antenna. It works great, but only in the rain! For years, the radio and antenna only work after driving through the car wash or rain puddles. Dry days, the radio is dead and the antenna stays parked.

It seems that there is a bad connection to the antenna motor, but how do I get to it? I checked the passenger floor kickplate, but I guess the antenna is in the fender. How do I get access to clean and seal?

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
brian-kennedy

On newer models you have to remove the plastic inner fender well. I doubt that it would cause the radio to not work at all though.

Reply to
Wolfgang

My guess is a bad ground, and when it gets wet the connection is made. It sould be that the plug is open, also, but I'd check the ground first. Are you getting a lot of static on AM?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey Hachi, I get a fair amount of noise on AM - as much ignition noise as static. Sometimes seems to clear up. Wrote it off to an older radio. Did check the "noise filter" next to the external (Calif.) ignition coil, figuring it was a capacitor, checked for short with DMM but seemed fine. Is there a specific grounding wire to check in the trunk? Or does the power antenna just ground at the attachment bolts? BTW, isn't it the carpet liner in the trunk that comes out to access rather than the inner fender liner? On the left side, one of the tail lights lets in a bit of water into the trunk storage well on that side. Right stays dry though. If you have experience with bad antenna ground at the power antenna unit, might be worth tearing into the trunk to check it. Radio seems clearer for stronger signals, but I thought that was normal operation.

Reply to
Daniel