1987 Camry - Rain Water leaks in trunk

Hi everyone:

Since past couple of years I have been noticing rain water seeping in the trunk. It accumulates in the slot where you keep jack, tools, etc. on both sides .. but is more prevalent on the left. And then it seeps in spare tire area. Since it does not rain very heavily here (Bay Area - Northern CA), so far I did not bother much and kept cleaning it up with a sponge.

It has been raining heavily past couple of days and this is making me crazy. I checked the seals on the trunk door area and they look fine .. it seems to be seeping in from the sides. have you seen this ? any ideas ?

Thanks

Reply to
techtrainer

Our '95 had the same problem. The dealer fixed it for a mere $300. Something about a seal in the bumper area...

Reply to
Leftie

You might want to inspect the body seal at the rear lamp assemblies(Brake,Turn Etc.).Put a water hose on that area and see if the water ends in the trunk. HTH JerryR

Reply to
JerryR

Thanks Leftie and JerryR -- I will check out for leaks.

Reply to
techtrainer

I'm a bit vague on this, but

has the probable answer.

If you take off the left rear wheel and the plastic covering, you should see a 'hole' in the side of the trunk covered by a sheet of rubber (I think) It is a valve to allow air to leave the car when you shut a door. Your problem might lie there.

My car filled up with water, but not when I washed it. Only when I drove it throught puddles etc.

BTW toyotanation is a great site.

Reply to
killinchy