1988 Camry : where is oil leak?

It has 197000 mi. on it, its the 4 cyl. 3S FE engine. Noticed oil dripping from engine parked at idle. Jacked the right side of the car, and I could not determine exactly the source of the oil leak. However, it it dripping off the RH CV joint. Is this pretty much below where oil pump is mounted on front of the engine? Is it likely to be a bad front seal or some seal on the oil pump? the oil press light is not coming on.

I think the water pump bearings are worn out, that seems to be the source of the loud rattling/whirring sound. On the upper timing belt cover, towards the front of it, there is a round projection about 2 in dia. When I press on it, the "bad bearing" sound changes a bit. I think this is where the water pump is. Its going to need timing belt replacement, too. The exhaust has a leak somewhere up close to where it connects to the exhaust manifold.

If I take it to a non-Toyota garage to have the work done (they seem to be cheaper than the dealerships)...that is, have oil pump replaced, water pump replaced, timing belt/idler& tensioner replacement, new front oil seal (not fixing the exhaust issue for now), any idea how much this might cost? The parts, I think would run about $300. But that is what I could buy them for on the internet..... the repair shops, even if not Toyota, might have a huge markup.

When I bought it, it would not start or run at all, and was overheating. Got both of those problems solved at least for $120.00-worth of parts. The body, interior, and paint are in very good condition...it still looks real nice. I only gambled $500 on the car (now $620 with the parts bought for it), maybe its not worth sinking $1000 (or more?) into. I could just sell it "as is" for $620, and take up payments on a Toyota Camry or Corolla with less miles and still running well. But to get a really nice Toyota or Corolla, I would have to take out a loan, which is what I was trying to avoid. Thanks, Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo