1988 Toyota Camry

I have a 1988 Camry 2 cyl, I recently had my timing belt replaced my rotor, wires, distributor & old changed. The car started and cut back off, I waited a few minutes and it started back up. Took the car out for a drive and it started to decelarate at around 40 mph. Shortly afterwards it backfired and cut off, now I cannot get it to start and I am not getting any fire to my distributor. Any suggestion?

Reply to
Kandee

That's characteristic of the '88 2 cyl Camry. Trade it in for one of the 3 cyl models.

Reply to
Wayne55dud

That's characteristic of the '88 2 cyl Camry. Trade it in for one of the 3 cyl models.

Reply to
Wayne55dud

The first question would be who did these repairs. Clearly something is amiss. My first guess would be that the timing belt was installed "one tooth off" - that is not aligned correctly. There is no 2 cylinder Camry. The "timing belt" sets the valve timing, that is when the valves open in relation to movement of the pistons. If your engine is backfiring you should get it repaired properly right away. If you can trust the first mechanic - although this performance casts severe doubts on his abilities, they should correct the problem without additional charge. If they already did their best, and are simply incapable of getting the engine running correctly - things have to be precisely correct - to the exact degree of rotation for ignition and valve timing - one degree off will make a difference (out of 360) - if they really aren't sufficiently familiar with this engine, best to find someone who is and have them redo the work so everything is set up as it should be. It is also important to use original equipment factory authorized genuine Toyota parts, especially for the ignition system. I would even considering towing the car to a reputable shop to avoid damaging the engine by running it with the valve and or ignition timing far enough off to cause back firing. I don't know what you mean by not getting fire to the distributor. There is an igniter that you could trouble shoot with the factory repair manual flow charts, but check the recent work first, before touching anything else.

Reply to
Daniel