1989 Camary Electric Window Problem Please Help!!

I have a 1989 Toyota Camary with electric windows. I have lowered the front passenger window and now it will not go back up. I know both the driver and passenger switches work, because I used both of them to lower the window, (the last time).

  1. Is there a way to manually get the window to the closed position until I can make the repair?

  1. When I look in Chilton's I do not find much info. When I look on the internet I find window regulators for about , but I'm not sure if they all include motors. How am I to determine if the motor is even the problem?

  2. I have heard no strange noises coming from the door. There's no evidence of anything coming loose internally and the window if firmly attached inside, it is not slack.

Thanks for all of your help,

Joe Hardin snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
Joe Hardin

Chances are, on a car this old, the switch is carboning on the contacts. Try holdding it down and 'wiggling' it. This will do one of two things; it will clear enough of an area to make contact and move the window, or, it will FIND an area and move the window.

Before you go ripping the whole door panel, etc apart, try removing the switch from the armrest (trying to remember this model...) and disconnect it. Then, for the easy way out, try spraying it with contact cleaner from Radio Shack, reconnect the connector and try it. If this works, great. If not, you will probably have to disassemble the switch and clean the contacts with an emery board, sandpaper, file, etc. Or, you can solder them with a light coat of solder. This has worked for over a year on my Celica. Or, go Junkyard diving and try to find a switch without so much corrosion...

Reply to
HachiRoku

$60 would only be for the regulator --- its $300 with motor! Do you hear the motor run when you push the button? If so then the regulator needs to be replaced. If so you should be able to pull the glass u and secure it with duct tape til you get a new regulator.

Reply to
Wolfgang