1989 Toyota Camry transmission problem.

It won't down shift to 1st gear and OD light flashing. Please I need some advise.

Reply to
btokfans

You have either the Aisin A140E or A140L transmission. If the OD light is flashing, my guess maybe the A140E?? Not sure.

If so the ECU detected a fault in the transmission. Could be a solenoid problem that prevented the correct clutch pack/brake band from engaging the 1st gear. Check Autozone's free online repair guide on how to pull trouble codes. Or visit Autozone, they may be able to help for free, at least for later OBD/OBD-II cars.

Reply to
johngdole

How often do you change the oil, I mean its only Twenty Plus, years old. JD is right, but ive changed new oil with maybe 1000 on it when things went funny and it helped. There is a filter, have you ever done the differential just behind the trans?

Reply to
ransley