1990 Camry 4 cyl AT left drive axle removal

Hi, I am trying to remove the left (driver's side) axle to replace the boots and can't get the axle to come out of the transmission. I removed the six bolts holding the aluminum housing/flange it passes through to the transmission and the axle & housing/flange moves out about 1/4" but that is all. Does it just need more force apllied or is there some type of retainer holding it in? If it matters it is a 2WD and Japanese model. Thanks!

Reply to
arango123

I just did this to my 93 Camry and it just takes something like a pray bar or a long crowbar to pry the shaft out with a quick nudge. There is a slipring holding it in place. I would put back the six bolts you removed and if it is the same as the 1993 remove the air intake hose assembly and the plastic plate mounted on the side of the transmission just above the CV drive shaft. Now that you have some room and with both wheels off the ground (use a jack to lift the car from the center front lifting point until the right wheel is of the ground), turn the shaft until you see a notch on the shaft. Now place your pray bar against the notch and pushing against the transmission case give it a quick push and the shaft will pop out and you will be away at the races. I struggled myself for a day trying to do it from under the car to no avail. Hope this helps. If you have any questions send me an email and I will try to answer them. Alex

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Thanks Alex! I took your advice and went through the top. My model doesn't seem to have a notch but after prying on it awhile it suddenly released. I had hoped the shaft would retract enough to allow for removal without taking the hub off, but it doesn't, so I had to remove the hub to pull out the shaft. Unfortunately the parts store sold me the wrong axle so I can't finish it up today after all. Thanks again!

Reply to
arango123

Hmmm Wasn't Carquest was it?

Reply to