1990 Camry A/C problem

I own a 1990 Camry and since the first day I bought it, the a/c fades in and out while I'm driving. It puts out cold air but not consistently like it's supposed to. What could be causing this?

Reply to
Bill & Phedra Thompson

Well it is 14 years old. Seals leak and freon escapes. Time to convert to Freon 134. Count on 5-600 bucks depending upon what parts have failed. Pops

--
Richard N. Price

Popsprice@cfl.rr.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Pops

and

Please forgive me in advance, to all you professional mechanics out there, but I had the same problem, and my buddy just increased my idle speed a bit, and it solved the problem. I went to two places to have it looked at, and they all wanted hundreds and hundreds of dollars. My buddy, who works for a big chain auto place(mavis tires) spent ten seconds on it, and the ac has been purring for the last two years no problem. I have over

165,000 miles on it. Oh its a 1991, but I dont think that should make a difference.
Reply to
j.lef

I forgot to mention that the fading in & out applies to the heat as well.

Reply to
Bill & Phedra Thompson

I owned a vehicle with this problem. I found that it only occurred when air became trapped in the cooling system, or when the coolant level was low. Mine ended up being a bad head gasket. If you're not losing any coolant, you probably have air entering your cooling system from the combustion chamber. I'm not a mechanic by trade but this theory made sense when I spoke with the technician who replaced the head gaskets. Before I had it fixed I found myself bleeding the air bubbles from the cooling system every day. My A.C./heat would only work for a short time - maybe twenty minutes but your results may be better. Good luck.

Reply to
blakno3

well.

Reply to