1990 camry ATF quantity

Hello all.

First: Thank you for any and all replies to my post...everyone has always been very helpful...enough smooching!

Second: I am about to do a full transmission fluid flush and am wondering how many quarts of ATF to purchase. I believe twelve quarts usually cover most vehicles but if I can get a more specific number for a 4-cylinder 1990 Camry (btw, it only has just over 110k miles--a baby, practically). In the past I have replaced the transmission filter and just replaced whatever ATF that drained out, usually with about three to four quarts of ATF, but I would like to give her a full transmission flush and fill.

Third: Any specific ATFs, or requirements\specifications, to purchase that might extend life\performance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

rybo

Reply to
rybo

my 91 4 cyl required 16 qts. After 12 qts there was still a different color between the new and the return fluid, so the mechanic continued the flush with 4 more qts. The flush and changing the filter cured the slippage I had when the engine was cold, although many previous posts warned against flushing an old transmission. The condition of my fluid was very bad (due to negligence by the previous owner), and I am sorry that I didn't do the flush long time ago, instead of following the recommendation of drain/refill only. I am not an expert and I don't know much about auto trans, but the frequent drain/refill didn't have much effect in my case. avoid overfilling - last time I had to come back 3 times until they got the hot level in the proper region. Also check the following article:

The capacities are: 5.2qts for the transmission and 3.4 qts for the front drive axle (4cyl)

Reply to
bauz