1990 camry gradual power steering failure

Hey All,

I've lost most of my power steering over the last 6 months gradually. I think it's the belt being lose, but not sure (it squeeks and steering gets hard and then easy and back and forth), but wanted to know where it is located and if it's relatively easy to change and check. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
ED EDIT68

I think

Sounds like you need a new belt. Also a good idea to replace the fluid if it's been neglected. If you have to ask how to find it, this is probably a task best left to the Dealer, or an independent mechanic specializing in Toyota. (There are probably only two accessory drive belts running off the crankshaft pulley, the shorter one goes directly to the power steering pump - you loosen the pivot and adjustment bolts to remove and reinstall the belt - but to someone familiar with such things, this is obvious. I wouldn't recommend them, but even Pep Boys can do this. Keep your hands clean and injury free - pay someone to do this for you. You could try just tightening the belt, but once it has become loose to the point of squealing and failing to operature the power steering pump, the surface is glazed and it should be replaced.)

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

You might want to check the last time the timing belt was changed. Usually the power steering belt is replaced at the same time because it has to come off anyway. Your timing belt service may be overdue. Just a guess, but worth checking your records.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Thanks for the advice, I'll let someone else do it for sure. Any idea how much changing the power steering belt costs?

Reply to
ededit68

The belt itself should be under $10 (around $7), so most of the cost, (as is often the case) will be labor charges. Just call a few places to get an estimate. There's probably a standard amount of labor time for that job - then multiply by the hourly rate. There's often a minimum charge for putting the car up on a lift. Also, as usual, the mechanic may find other recommended service items that could raise the cost. For example, if the power steering belt is loose, what condition is the alternator belt? Even if the condition is OK, while he's there, the mechanic should check the belt tension.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus