1990 Camry transmission problem

I have a 1990 Camry 4cyl auto (A140E) transmission that won't shift into drive. All other transmission functions work okay. I have done some research and think there may be a shift solenoid problem inside the transmission. Is this an expensive fix. Local transmission shop wants to install a used one for $1200 total. I think that I should bring it to AAMCO or dealer?? I have not run the diagnostic code read out yet. Any help?? Fred in Renton Washington.

Reply to
Fred

YOu can probably buy a whole car for what they want for the transmission or to repair one. It may just be a linkage problem, but doubtful if it hits all the other gears.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

========================= I only had one horrible experience with AAMCO when my son took a car there without my knowledge. Try reading about the transmission online. Replacing a solenoid is inexpensive compared to transmission replacement. See:

you get some basic understanding you may be better able to decide.Could be something as simple as adjusting the shift linkage or as yousay replacing a solenoid, or even a loose electrical connection to thesolenoid. You would generally replace the transmission when the friction material on the clutch plates is gone - evidenced by excessive slipping. Sounds like you need to accurately diagnose what is wrong first, then decide a cource of action. See if you can find someone who can actually determine the fault in your transmission rather than immediately turning to an expensive solution.

Reply to
Daniel