1990 Toyota Camry starting HELP!

Hi all,

I have a bit of an interesting problem with my camry. First off, it's an 1990 camry automatic v6. Right now I can't start my car... This is my problem! I turn the ignition key on and i get nothing. The car won't turn over, there are no dash lights that come on, nothing! The inside lights of the car still work as well as my headlights but my brake lights, signal lights, and everything else doesn't seem to work. Everytime i turn over the key i get absolutely zero response. Has someone else experienced this before or know what it could be? Any help would be great, thanks!

Reply to
zero.revz

What is battery voltage, it should be apx 13.25v, not 12v. Did you clean cables and terminals on the battery, your issue is common, use common sence, the starter takes maximum power. Start with the basics. Mine did that with just one cable I forgot to clean, I did the terminals but not the neg cable.

Reply to
m Ransley

I second that. You actually have to take apart the connections and use an inside/outside battery brush. Reassemble with a felt washer on each terminal. Coat with grease to seal out air and water.

Note that disconnecting the battery will also reset you LoJack if you have one. LoJack as an ignition cutoff.

Reply to
Stubby

Right Stubby, thats what I forgot, I did not look inside my cable terminal, it was corroded but my battery was cleaned. I got a battery-cable cleaner tool and it fixed my issue. Other than cables

-battery its on to the starter to see if you are getting voltage.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thank you so much guys. I'll check and try everything that was mentioned when i get home from work. What's interseting is that the battery is brand new, literaly. I just got it earlier yesterday and it seemed to work fine after installing it. I had replaced the alternator the week before but that was giving me some issues yesterday. On top of the alternator there is a small bolt that sticks up and a wire with an O ring like end that goes over this bolt. Well i tightened that connection and got a small spark (like an idiot i forgot to disconnect the battery). So i'm wondering if you guys think maybe i shorted something and if so, what could it be? I checked all the fuses and none of them seem to be blown. Thanks for all of your help!

Reply to
zero.revz

Oh i also forgot to mention. There is an old "black widow" alarm on the car that hasn't been working right for years. It will just arm and disarm itself whenever it feels like. do you think that this may be part of the problem as well?

thanks for all your help.

Reply to
zero.revz

Thanks for everyones help. it ended up being a blown alternator fuse. After i was able to take it off and take a close look i saw that it was blown. thanks everyone!

Reply to
zero.revz

It would be advisable to remove the alarm... Last week I had a no start/starter not working condition on my sisters Olds, was due to part of an old alarm system left on by the original selling dealer

Reply to
sqdancerLynn