1990 V6 Auto bad cold run problem

Long story I'll try to keep to the point...

1990 Camry V6 Automatic LE Wagon with 150K stalls and will not restart.

Tow to local general repair shop?

Based on the mileage tell shop to replace timing belt as a precaution?

They suggest water pump replacement while the are doing the timing belt?

I agree?

Takes weeks to diagnose no start!!!

Rebuilt MAF, new crank trigger sensor and salvage yard ECM get it running

But?

New bad cold run problem?

Starts and runs up to about 1000 rpm for a moment then rpm drops until it stalls...

Smells rich?

If I keep it running by playing with the gas till it is warm it will stay running but feels down on power?

Wife says it is blowing smoke out the tail pipe, think it is black smoke from it running rich?

First shop has sent it to three other shops including the local dealer?

No one has been able to fix it?

Last shop that had it gave me a tech service bulletin saying there were problems with 90-91 ECM?

Out of desperation just put the "improved' ECM from Toyota in it?

NO IMPROVEMENT!!!

Looking hard at the MAF, the spring pressure to open the flapper valve seems very stiff to me.

Have spent more than its book value already?

Need help?

John in Atlanta GA

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to