1991 Camry Differential Fluid/Grease?

I don't know much about cars, and I heard different answers for this question: what are the proper maintenance guidelines for the differential? how often should the fluid be flushed and how? I have the 2WD 2.0 engine. Thanks!

Reply to
bauz

I would suggest to change it every 50,000 miles. I change mine every time I have the transmission fluid changed. But, my cars are mostly rear-wheel drive cars. I don't see any reason why FWD cars can't follow the same maintenance schedule.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Some auto transaxles share the same ATF supply with the transmission while others have separate reservoirs. To complicate matters, some auto transaxles have separate oil supply for the differential BUT ... the lubricant may also be ATF or .... it may be hypoid oil.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to

I did know that. I suppose I should have clarified my last sentence on my previous response with, "if the fluid is separated."

Reply to
Viperkiller

I guess that in my car the fluid is shared with the transmission, that's why I couldn't find any information about it in the user manual.

Thank you for replying so quickly and for the information you provided.

Reply to
bauz

I guess that in my car the fluid is shared with the transmission

----- Wouldn't count on it. On the 1994 - 4 cylinder, the fluid is separate - can become degraded without affecting the transmission fluid. Would recommend changing the differential fluid separately. The later models (and V-6 ?) went to shared fluid. Pure conjecture here, but could be design was altered to avoid differential failure from failing to check/ change periodically. The oft repeated story here, first time I checked mine - even with receipts for labor and material from the prior owner documenting differential service - fluid was badly discolored. Since then, switching to synthetic ATF, has always come out clean as it went in. The trick for re filling seems to be a funnel with a two foot length of tubing routed from above. Have to try that next time in place of the messier suction pump had been using. In any event, you'll have to lift the car to reach the fill plug on the back of the housing. Personally, seems like the separate differential fluid has some engineering design advantages. There is a magnetic drain plug to capture any small filings, the the fluid is isolated from the transmission where friction material wear can enter the fluid - so the differential is isolated from that source of contamination. Still, doesn't hurt to change with transmission change intervals, only takes

1.7 quarts on mine. On a related topic, I prefer to drain engine oil and transmission fluid, and differential fluid over night. You'll get nearly a quart extra out of the transmission, and the engine oil will stay cleaner longer because you're removing slightly more of the last dregs. Obviously, if more than one person drives the car, you want to take absolute measures to insure no one jumps in and drives off with empty fluids.
Reply to
Daniel

A 91 4 cil takes ATF in a separate sealed resivour than the trans, It is difficult to fill as a bottle must be used higher up, a lift is needed at a shop. Many shops do not know this and the manual is not clear at all on this. Change it now, I use Mobil Synthetic ATF. Also Power steering takes ATF, a good time to change both, use a meat baister to remove the power steering fluid.

Reply to
m Ransley

Daniel wrote: SNIP

A) you CAN start an engine with no oil in it and run it until it seizes. Some cars do have a pressure safety circuit that will kill the ignition if oil pressure is not established in 20 seconds or thereabouts.

B) no automatic transmission will engage any gear when there is no oil in the pan. An automatic is a hydraulic device. No oil pressure ... no go.

C) always a smart thing to do when you anticipate leaving a car without lubricants: PULL the small wire off the starter solenoid (easy to reach on fours and some V6s).

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to