1991 Toyota Camry Electrical Questions

I recently bought a 91 Camry LE that had a terribly botched aftermarked radio installation. I'm no expert, but I worked out most of the obvious problems and regained the use of my clock (it kept resetting every time I turned the car off) and my radio now holds the memory.

Now that my clock is back, I want to make sure that it is normal for it to be on all the time, even when the ignition is off.

The only thing that I can't figure out is that my radio is always HOT, meaning that the key is not needed to turn it on and off. I can work around this, but any ideas would be appreciated. The aftermarket radio (BOSS) is wired to a harness; however, the 12v constant is not part of the harness and is tied into my radio fuse under the dash. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Andy

The fact that your radio can be turned on without any key means the accessory(ignition) wire is plugged on a constant source and so is your contant 12V if you are keeping the memory. If you can test the fuse try to see if the power is always flowing through both sides of the fuse, it might be put on a relay. First off, switch the red(accessory) and yellow(constant) at the radio and take the accessory on the other side of the fuse, only if you have too, there should be all the necessary wires in back of the radio and if they are not giving out the proper voltage check every single fuse , even the ones under the hood.

Reply to
DSPL

That was it. For one reason or another, both the constant and iginition wires were spliced together. I guess the "installer" didn't have power the way he or she did it initiallt and took the easy way out. I rewired it and now I'm up and running. Interestingly, the clock now also shuts off when the ignition is off; I guess it is supposed to. I guess the clock and radio are tied together in the original wiring somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Andy