1992 Camry getting hot

I replace a bad radiator hose. Due to constant leaking, my son kept putting straight water in rad. New hose stopped leaked but gets hot while idling. I didn't see fans running either. Aside from draining and replacing w/antifreeze, any other suggestions?

Reply to
Joe & Eileen

Check for other leaks. Leaks reduce boiling point and can cause the problem you describe -- if there are no other problems.You can borrow a pressure tester from Autozone, free with deposit, refund after you return.

Free-loaner tool, cooling system pressure tester:

At 2 atms (atmospheres), water boils at about 250 deg F, this doesn't seem far from the ~265 deg F for the 50/50 mix antifreeze. So the problem may be the system's unable to hold pressure, air trapped in the system, a blocked thermostat or other problems.

Pure water will corrode the cooling system, so I'd swap it out with Toyota Red and 50% distilled water every 2 years instead of Toyota Pink every 5. The Pink has higher corrosion rate than the Red, it's not as good a corrosion fighter.

Check the free online repair guide at Autozone.

Hoses:

I replace a bad radiator hose. Due to constant leaking, my son kept putti= ng

Reply to
johngdole