1992 Camry rich burn? hard cold start?

I have purchased this car recently so I am unaare of all of its history. The current symptoms are:

- Hard to start when cold. It turns over fine does not fire, when it does it chugs a few times before coming to life.

- Will tend to idle high when cold 1500 rpm or higher - my other camry's are about 1100 rpm hen cold slowing to about 700

- Spark plugs and wires were changed, old ones looked fine except were quite black and sooty.

I have had oxygen sensor suggested but check engine light is not on. If suggesttions are that is there away for beginner mechanic to check? Other ideas?

Robin

Reply to
RD

OK, so no suggestions. I guess I will have to go to dealer.

RD

Reply to
RD