1992 Camry ; Starter Wont Stop...Help please.

I got a 1992 Camry LE 4Cyl. I went to drive it yesterday and went out lastnite and turned the key and the car kept on cranking. I had to pull a battery cable off to stop it. Anyone ever have this problem before? THe car has very high miles on it. I have kept the car very well maintained. Thanks -Charlie

Reply to
Chuckyg

Look in this website for help with your starter

Hope it helps. It helped me.

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

When this happens it is most likely the solenoid sticking in the starter itself. The solenoid has 2 jobs: it whacks a couple of heavy contacts to-gether to pass the massive starter current required from the battery and to push the drive pinion-gear into mesh with the engine ring-gear for cranking.

After long service, debris and gunk collect around the solenoid plunger (armature) and can cause sticking or the 2 contacts have welded to-gether. In either case, you need an exchange repacement unit.

It is laso possible, the low-current switching circuit has applied a constant 'start' voltage (signal) to the starter. To test for this, remove the thinner wire from the starter-motor's body,..then put your battery clamp back. If it is OK,..plug the small wire back in its connector. If the starter starts cranking, there is a fault in the ciruit between the ignition-key switch and the small wire we speak of. If it doesn't crank, the fault has cleared,..in which case you need to have a stab in the dark by checking the starter condition first.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I had this problem with my 99 Camry a couple of years ago. The dealer said that the starter had a shorted winding.

Howard

THe

maintained.

and

clamp

the

Reply to
Howard Lubeck

Well I whacked the starter about 5 timed with wood and a hammer. I went to start, and it started without a problem. I should proboably get a few more starts out of it. I really don't feel like putting any in this car because it has 285,000 miles on it. Thanks

Reply to
Chuckyg