1992 Toyota Camry Radio Problem

Hello.

I have a 1992 Toyota Camry, and the car was my mother's before it was mine. About ... 2-3 years ago the radio went out one day will she was driving. Anyway, last year I bought the car from me her, and have been using portable radios for my music and news needs. But, a friend recommended that I check the fuses just in case one of them is out, so I do. I checked all of them that had to do with the radio, and non were blown, so I changed them anyway (all of them, just so I know when the last time fuses were put in). And now the radio still does not work. The fuses I changed are the ones under the hood, and the ones on the driver side, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

-- Alejandro

Reply to
AEscalante

Does it light the dial? Does the antenna go up? If not, you need to get a volt meter and check the power distribution. You can find a wiring diagram on the net.

AEscalante wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Stubby:

It doesn't look like there is any power going to the radio. The dial doesn't light, and the antenna doesn't go up. I press the power button, and it just sits there. I found the EWD for the '91 models, but not for the '92. They look almost identical in style, do you think I could still use the '91 in the stead of the '92?

Reply to
AEscalante

I don't know, but it won't hurt to try. Just track down the +12 volt source from the battery to the radio. There might be an ignition cutoff (burglar alarm) so you can't just jump the battery to the radio for testing. Good luck.

Reply to
Stubby

I have no alarm for the car. But I need help finding this battery you are talking about. Where can I find a manual that will help me further? Or could you possibly tell me more specifically?

Reply to
AEscalante

He means the battery in the car...

Now Toyota's wiring is proprietary, so the colors are different. If you have the manual page, it should list the connector and connections. Go get a cheap V-O-M (volt meter) if you don't have one, if you can get one with clips as well as regular leads; clip the black wire to something metal attached to the frame of the car, and use the probe on the connector. First, leave the carr OFF totally. You should find one connection that has

+12 volts on it. This is the 'Back-up' that holds the stations in memory. Depending on who made the radio, it may or may not be needed for operation (Radios were made by National (Panasonic), Fujitsu and Clarion. I believe the Fujitsu needs the Back up operating...)

If you can't find +12V this way, this may be your problem. IIRC, you said you checked the fuses; did you look under the hood? There is a 7.5A fuse there that, IIRC controls this connection. If all this is good, turn the key to ACC and check the connector again. You should now have TWO +12V connections. If not, this is your problem.

If both these are good, you /may/ have a blown fuse inside the radio! These can be a REAL pain, since they usually look like a green or blue resistor and are usually soldered onto the circuit board. The CKT BDS are CHEAP, and you can easily lift the pads trying to install a new fuse. I have YEARS of soldering experience on NASA stuff, and these things STILL throw me for a loop. I send them to United Radio (Toyota's Warranty Repair Center) in Upstate NY; for a nominal fee they swap the radio out.

Good Luck! Let us know what you find!

BTW, I have had ONE toyota that had the original radio that did NOT go bad; that was a 1974 Corolla 1200 I bought new with a Clarion AM/FM MONO radio. On the rest of my cars, I have replaced the stock radio with something better.

I have bought 4 used Toyotas in my life, and when I replaced the radio, EVERY ONE of them had a sticker from United Radio on the radio, and a warranty sticker missing from the warranty book!

Reply to
Hachiroku

These are the car's harness wires.

These are the cables that come out the back of the new radio I bought.

Now, how do I connect the two? Do I have to cut the wires and connect them to their mate on the other?

Thanks much for pardoning my poor English.

Reply to
AEscalante

Well, I WAS hoping to post something to halp you out, but you've now got me stumped!

I went to Wal*Mart and bought one of those connectors, because I *MAY* want to swap the radio out of my Scion (What? A Scion with a STOCK radio?!?!) But, I actually like the sound. Wal*MArt didn't have any of these connectors (Model TA021) on their Web Site, so I wanted to get one before their discontinued.

So, looking at the picture "DSC0404.png", the connector on the LEFT we'll call Connector 1, and the one above your thumb we'll call Connector 2, the wiring goes like this:

On Connector 1: (I Hope the pic isn't reversed; I'm looking at MY connector as if I were going to plug it into YOUR connector...)

The Top Left pin is Purple. This is Right Rear + Then there is a space, and then the keyway. The next pin, top right, is Green. This is Left Rear +. The bottom row, from the left: Purple/Black, Right Rear - Blank Blank Bottom row, right Green/Black, Left Rear -

on Connector 2:

Starting from the left top: Grey. This is Right Front + White. This is Left Front + Keyway, then blank RED. This is +12 V from the ACC connection. Yellow. This is the +12 V BATT connection, always 'ON'

Bottom Row from the left: Grey/Black. This is Right Front - White/Black. This is Left Front - Black. This is GROUND Blue. This is Power Antenna. This is an "As Needed" wire, or to turn on an external amp. Blue. Also Power Antenna. This will provide the power through the harness to the antenna. Orange. Dimmer. This is what causes the radio lights to dim when the parking/head lights are turned on.

Now, the stumper. The OTHER harness you're showing me from the radio does NOT appear to be a Toyota harness! In looking at your picture, it looks like someone spliced this connector onto the radio. They DID have one of these at Wal*Mart, and it was marked "Generic Import Adapter", and was listed for certain models of Nissan, Honda, Subaru, etc, but NOT for Toyota. So, whoever you got this radio from must have had it in a different car and 'lost' the original connector!

This is NOT good! It looks like 15-16 pins? The Toyota connector has 10 pins on one connector, and 5 on the other.

The only thing is, if the wires are EIA standard (Purple, green, white, grey, red and yellow) then you can take the info I've given you and get some push pins at an electronics store, crimp or solder them on and mate them to yuour car's connector.

I'll take another look on Scosche's web site, they may have further info...

Reply to
Hachiroku

=================== There was a significant change - the car went through a major redesign in 1992. Use the 92-96 manuals. See:

wiring diagrams section.

Reply to
Daniel

============== It is recommended you do not cut any original Toyota wires. Ask crutchfield.com to send the correct wiring harness connector and color codes for your model year. Then you do all the splicing and soldering (or wire nuts) on wires that are not part of the original wiring in the car.

Reply to
Daniel

See the install:

AEscalante