1993 CAMRY XLE left side speaker

Hi guys. I drive a 93 XLE camry. I realized 2 days ago that my front and rear left side speakers are not functioning. Is there a way to find out if it's broken or something is wrong with the connection or something. I tried playing with the balance nob.....still no sound from the left side. Anyone has encountered this problem?

Reply to
sylvesterxavier

Most likely the left channel of the radio/receiver is blown. Best bet is probably to replace it with an after-market receiver (new or used).

Reply to
Mark A

I don't know too much about cars and speakers. When you said left chanel of the radio/receiver. What exactly is that? The whole head unit or?

Thank you

Reply to
sylvesterxavier

He means the circuit that puts out sound for one half of the speakers - one half of the stereo signal. It's internal. My opinion, though, is that you shouldn't rule out a speaker wiring problem just yet.

Reply to
mjc1

The "head unit" or receiver technically consists of a control pre-amp, tuner (radio), amplifier, (and maybe a cassette player or CD player) all built into one unit. A failure of a single component (transistor, resister, capacitor, etc) on the left channel of the pre-amp or amplifier could be the problem. You will likely have to replace the entire head unit (receiver).

It is possible that the problem is the speaker connection (as suggested by another poster) coming out of the receiver (not likely that the connections went bad where the wire connects TO the speakers on two different speakers at the same time). But most "likely" the head unit is toast on a unit that is that old.

Reply to
Mark A

Check Autozone's free repair guide on how to remove the head unit and speakers:

I'm not sure if the typically higher impedance (?) will allow you to jumper a small audio source to test the speakers and/or test the output from the head unit to verify.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole