1994 4cyl Radiator replacement

I haven't done many car repairs in recent years, haven't really had to since I started driving Camrys! But in bygone years I've done my share of it. My daughter has driven my old '94 for several years and it now needs a new radiator. From what I've been able to find on the group, it looks pretty straight forward, drain the coolant, disconnect the hoses, disconnect the trans cooling lines and fan wiring, pull it out and remove the fans, then reverse the steps to install the replacement.

Any gotchas I should be worried about? She doesn't have bunches of money as a college student, and I can't afford to give her a lot of help at this point either.

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

Reply to
Mark

AutoZone's free online repair guide offers an additional source of information:

Also replace the thermostat, use Toyota OEM for this part. Use OEM coolant. If it's concentrated, add only distilled water. Change out the coolant hoses. I prefer the excellent Gates hoses (and belts).

Good time to check the radiator and condenser fans and make sure they actually work. (See AutoZone's free guide).

Radiator and condenser fins bend easily and cooling tubes are soft aluminum. Exercise care. Check

for current prices on radiators. Koyo is a good alternative. Use a new radiator cap, preferrably one with a spring loaded metal vacuum valve, not a loose plastic vacuum valve.

Mark wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Yes use a Toy thermostat, ive had many non OEM defective, I would do a chemical flush with the old radiator in to remove scale. If the Rad is bad replace all water hoses.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks! This really helps. I picked up a new radiator at the local NAPA, their price was about the average from what I saw online, and I really don't have the time to wait on shipping. I pulled the old radiator this evening and the instructions really helped.

On problem - the bottom of the radiator rests on what looks like two large rubber 'rings'. These are so decomposed the are hardly recognizable. In fact I think they may have come apart, with one part staying in the car and the other sticking to the small 'leg' on the bottom of the radiator. Probably the effect of 12 years of Ohio salt & grime.

I did some searching and can't find these on any of the parts sites. From the pictures of new units, they don't seem to be supplied with any of the new ones either. Any thoughts on this? I was going to stop at the dealer to see what their parts-guy had to offer.

Thanks again for the feedback Felt pretty good to wrench on a car again after all these years!

Mark

As far as the radiator rubber feet go, I think that's a dealer only part (I have not checked to see the standard-looking rubber parts are in local auto parts stores.) No radiators I bought ever came with these. You should be able to "slide" these rubber feet in by just removing the top clamps and moving the rad just a bit upward. It's amazing how much free room these rads got.

NAPA's rad should be a Modine radiator, now renamed Proliance. Modine makes excellent radiators with a lifetime warranty and are usually twice the online price I mentioned. You must have gotten a good deal.

Mark wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

My area NAPA (oregon) usually have two lines, one about 20 percent higher than the "standard part."

The parts counter guy locally has a great term he uses for the premium line, but can't remember it off hand.

Except for something like an oil or air filter, I can really see the difference with the premium line. I think the premium fuel pump weighed twice as much as the standard.

For the filters, since I replace them pretty regularly anyway, I go with the cheaper product.

Reply to
timbirr