1994 Camry Dashlights out

We have a 1994 Toyota Camry with 173,000 miles. Just recently, the dash illumination bulb has gone out. I can not find a bad fuse, and I am afraid that this is the bulb itself that has gone out.

I only found the one fuse box under the hood. Is there another one to look at? If not, how big a job is it to replace that bulb?

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Hi Pat,

I have a 1995 2.2 CAMRY from new. I thought I had done a few miles with 103.000 just coming up. WOW 173.000

I have an electrical manual from Toyota. its 1994 on.

As far as I can see. The same fuse that powers your " Dash Illumination " also feeds the Hazard switch...Cigar Illumination and various others on the dash. Are those still ON/working.

It may be just that LAMP/BULB has gone faulty. But there is that RHEOSTAT in line with that Illumination Lamp ( on my 95 ) Has it been TURN DOWN. Kid playing with it. Or maybe just needs a few twists Left/Right in case the track has gone dirty so maybe open circuit.

Worth a try. I can scan this electrical sheet on these if you email me.

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

I'm not sure on the Camry (I have a 1995 myself) but nearly any car I've ever worked on has more than 1 bulb for dash lights. It is extremely unlikely that all the bulbs would burn out at once. So, if everything is dark, I'd look at the fuse and/or rheostat.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
spsffan

Thanks Dave and Johnny! I will let you know what I find out. This is not my car, but I will be over there to look at it tonight.

Pat

Reply to
pws

OK, so far, the hazards work normally. Now the tail lights are out as well. I can not find any fuses that are blown.

It may be time to admit defeat and take it in to a professional. This car needs to keep running for about 3 or 4 more months, probably to be replaced with another Camry.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Hi Again.

I am not sure if you are Right Hand Drive or Left Hand drive.

On RIGHT hand drive.

Look in the area of the BATTERY there are 2 RELAY/FUSE boxes. The are BLACK plastic boxes with metal spring clips.

My headlight fuses are in that box It maybe the other fuses are to. They were plug in SPADE type. The fuse is idetified in the lid of the Fuse Box.

Also the Tail Lights are relay controlled. WAGG the relays a bit in there bases.

Can you try to reply quicker so that we can keep this going better.

The HAYNES Repair Manual is worth having for the CAMRY its not expensive in the UK,

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

Thank you. All fuses are good, all of the bulbs are good, the relays have all been moved about. I guess that next I should pull the relays and check the connectors for corrosion.

All of the interior lights work except for the dash display illumination light, and the tail lights. The hazards, the light indicating which gear the car is in, the inside brake indicator light, these all light up. It is the speedometer and tachometer, temperature gauge, and fuel level indicator that are now completely dark at night.

With the exterior, it is just the rear driving lights that are out. The brake lights and turn signals operate properly.

Thanks again,

Pat

Reply to
pws

Excuse me, I meant that all of the exterior bulbs are good. I have not been able to check the interior dash bulb(s) yet.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Hi Pat.

I think a check on those Dash bulbs is due now. Then if they are ok , you know the fault is elsewhere. Some times in fault tracing its good to know what IS NOT the fault. I have never took that area to part to be honest But with care it will be ok.

But get the HAYNES manual. Its really worth the money. Its also on line to purchase

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

I will see what I can do. Yes, a manual would be good, I will pick one up. The car is rarely driven at night, so this has not been a top priority, but things are slowing down enough that I will have time to look at it soon. I will post what I find when I do that.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

I have a '94 camry, and my dome and dash lights were out, and the "lights out" indicator was on for quite a while. After replacing the burned out dome light fuse (little yellow #20), everything came back on.

I did not check before replacing the fuse to see if the hazards worked but they are working afterward so do not know if they are connected to the same fuse. Happy that replacement of dash light is not required.

--
JB115
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Where can I located my rheostat on my 95 camry anyone

Reply to
christopherlaboy222