1994 Camry died and won't start

We were driving down the street in the Camry when the engine suddenly died and the "check engine" light came on. The car cranks fine, there are no odd noises, but it won't start. I tried to get an arc from a screwdriver inserted in one of the spark plug leads, but I didn't get one (however, I needed a good assistant and the three year old I had with me was not the best help), so I suspect I'm not getting any ignition. The engine is a 4 cyl and the car has automatic transmission. What are the possibilities and is it likely I can narrow it down without speciallized testing gear?

Reply to
t34mentor

How many miles since the timing belt was replaced?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

If your timing belt is good, which is the first thing I would check, you may have bad distributor condensor. Check to see if the lead is shorted to the condensor casing, if it is see your locator Toyota dealer for a new one since the aftermarket does not have these.

Reply to
samson

"t34mentor" wrote: > We were driving down the street in the Camry when the engine > suddenly died > and the "check engine" light came on. The car cranks fine, > there are no > odd noises, but it won't start. I tried to get an arc from a > screwdriver > inserted in one of the spark plug leads, but I didn't get one > (however, I > needed a good assistant and the three year old I had with me > was not the > best help), so I suspect I'm not getting any ignition. The > engine is a 4 > cyl and the car has automatic transmission. What are the > possibilities > and is it likely I can narrow it down without speciallized > testing gear?

I had a 85 MR2 that the ignitor module failed. Toyota dealer said they never sold any and at $440 I can agree. I bought a used one for $50 and was back on the road. Toyota was troubled with ignitor module failures in the 80?s and most likely into the 90?s as they did not change the design. car-part.com is a good source to find one. It should have a number on it like 89621-16020. Ken

--
http://www.AutoForumz.com/  This article was posted by author's request
 Click to see the full signature