1994 TOYOTA Camry V6 coolant leak

Hi,

Happy New Year!!

I have a 1994 TOYOTA Camry V6, 118,000 miles. When engine is hot there is no coolant leak. I ran it at idle for an hour with AC on, no leak at all. But when engine is shutdown after three, four hours the coolant starts to leak from top of the crankshaft pulley, above the two "wired sensors" on the engine block (between the plastic camshaft pulley cover). It is hard to see where the leak is exactly coming from. But why the hot/cold expansion is the factor here? Is that true the water pump only leaks when the engine is running? Or the cylinder head gasket is the problem here.

I appreciated your help. Thank you.

Reply to
dendin

In news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, dendin being of bellicose mind posted:

I've had "cold water leaks" from water pumps. This manifests as no coolant leakage so long as the engine is running but.... let is sit to cool down overnight ... and the next morning you'll have a puddle under the car, right under the water pump. Time to replace the pump as the "mechanical seal" is toast.

Reply to
Philip®

I had almost this exact same problem on my wife's 93 V6 camry just last week. I ended up using a coolant dye and UV light to trace the leak. Very similar behavior in that it was only leaking after an engine cooldown. Turns out it was the O-ring on the water inlet tube where it goes into the thermostat housing. Replaced it and it has not leaked a drop since.

Before you go tearing into a water pump, I would at least use a tracer dye to pinpoint the leak to make sure. It could be dripping down from the water outlet at the top or underneath the intake manifold from the other water connections under there. If you have never had the water pump replaced on the vehicle, it could very well be that also.

davemac

Reply to
davemac

Hi Davemac,