1994 V6 Camry XLE - Timing Belt

This car has 140,000 miles on it and the timing belt just went out. I am curious as to what this should cost to repair as I have never driven a Toyota or older model car. Autozone has the part for $25.00 but the mechanic is saying $200 in labor and $150 in parts. Is he quoting pulleys too? Is this car worth repairing? I was on the highway and the car just stopped accelerating and I had to coast to the side of the highway. Motorist assist came by and took the plastic cap off and said that it is definitely the belt because now there is no belt on there. He saw nothing but teeth. Also, someone mentioned to me something about interference motors. So far my internet research doesn't show this car being equipped with that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Reply to
LJE

What exactly did the mechanic want to replace? Water pump, cam and crank seals, drive belts, along with the timing belt and pulleys? Ask. The parts will cost the full list price at the mechanic but that's understandable as he will make some profit and pay for parts delivery.

No, the engine is a non-interference engine. The valves won't hit the pistons. 140,000 miles is way overdue. Change it every 60K miles. (Later models spec for 90K.)

Toyota's going rate for the timing belt only is about $270 coupon (then they'll hit you with water pump, coolant, seals, pulleys, etc so you won't get out for less than $1000. Unless you negotiate a "package" deal in writing that will remove some duplicate labor cost and agree to it before hand. But it's still pricey).

The Dayco timing belt is an OK belt. I personally prefer and use the best-in-class Gates Timing Component Kit that includes the timing belt, two necessary pulleys and an instruction sheet all for ~$90 on

See:

The valve cover gasket should be checked for oil leaks and replaced as needed. The rear bank gasket is notorious for leaks and the oil drips onto the PS pump, making the unsuspecting think the PS pump had gone out.

I'd replace parts like the following

listed parts. (verify correct application to the 94 V6): GATES TCK257 timing component kit $89.79 FEL-PRO TCS45890 crank seal $6.27 FEL-PRO TCS45889 cam seal set $8.55 GATES K060410 Alt/AC belt $13.09 GATES K040345 PS belt $8.61 ASCO/AISIN Part # 1610029085 water pump $61.79 Total ~$188 + shipping

If needed: FEL-PRO VS50471R valve cover set (with spark plug tube seals) $30.79

LJE wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com is correct.

It is a NON interference engine. nothing is messed up except your belt.

For the quote, it is too high

A toyota dealership will charge you $180-$200 to change out the timing belt, labor and parts

I dunno about the pully part but i am guessing no cos he is trying to screw you and make a quick buck. Just ask what part is he replacing and buy it from autozone.

You might want to change the water pump and 2 other belts while you are doing that car. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run..

here is a good forum

tell them that you are a girl and some people will offer free service/advise LoL

all the best

LJE wrote:

Reply to
skewe