1995 camry - headlight replacement

What should I know before atempting a 95 camry headlamp replacement??

I have one headlamp cracked - found relatively not expensive lamps online:

some other place even cheaper ones by "Eagle Eyes" brand... Both claim to be exact to original replacements - is this true?

Is this a job to tackle on a parking lot or should I need some special tools for installation and aiming regulation ?

I was looking for some installation guide online and could not find. Please help!

Thanks, Pszemol.

Reply to
Pszemol

I would go for the $45.89+S&H+applicable tax from rockauto.com for a

  1. Some may prefer one over the dealer counter. It's your call.

But you may prefer the "CAPA" certified aftermarket replacement.

lists one for $101.99. The standard replacement lists for $45.89 and the economy replacement lists for $43.79. Why don't you give rockauto a call about the difference.

"The Certified Automotive Parts Association (CAPA) is a non-profit organization established in 1987 to develop and oversee a test program guaranteeing the suitability and quality of automotive parts. CAPA encourages competition in the marketplace in the hope that their program will ultimately reduce expense to the consumer and the industry while increasing and assuring part quality."

Autozone's free repair guide shows general instructions for 83-96 Camrys on how to change out the head lamps:

johngdole

Well, I am not sure if the difference in quality is something which can be discussed over the phone. I wonder if there is a way to see them both, side by side, before making decision and paying more than twice for CAPA lamps compared to the standard ones...

Have you personally seen CAPA lamps? Why would *you* go for the standard ones ($45.89+S&H)?

Thanks!

Reply to
Pszemol

Just trying to show you a range of options.

It's always good to be able to see the items before you buy. Buying clothes and car parts' never before seen is obviously one disadvantage of shopping online, but the advantage is much lower prices especially for the parts you already know, like oxygen sensors, tires, spark plugs, etc.

Phone contact will be able to provide you with more info on the manufacturer. For instance, if the regular and CAPA one are made by the same company (then most likely the same part going into different boxes). Or if there is the one year warranty like partsamerica.com offers. But there is a limit to the usefulness of many help desks if you happen to get a rookie.

For certain things, I'd go for premium. Like NGK Laser Iridium or Iridium-IX spark plugs, Akebono ProAct ceramic brake pads, or Bosch planar type oxygen sensors even for an older car. But for headlamp housing, I wouldn't spend $120 when one is available for ~$45 (especially if made by the same company.) Again, as I said, some would pay >$200 to buy one over the dealer counter. So your mileage may vary.

Also, Partsamerica.com have the DEPO or Keystone brands on there for about $120. But no mention of CAPA. My NGK Iridiums don't have any CAPA certification on them. But they are great and rockauto.com prices for them can't be beat (Toyota specs NGK and Denso plugs).

So you may want to go down to Kragen/Advance Auto/Checkers or the local NAPA and ask if they can show you before you buy (it'll be difficult if they are special order items.)

Reply to
johngdole

[...]

Pszemol, Which did you choose, and are you happy with your decision? I have to replace one of mine and the cost difference is large. Thanks.

Reply to
camry-keeper

Yeah, tell us about it. Ebay lists $40 each side and $75 a pair plus shipping.

Reply to
johngdole