1996 Camry Transmission overfill

I slightly overfilled the tranny fluid on 1996 Camry - it is slightly higher than the HOT area of the dipstick - put 30 miles on the car since - did I damage the transmission already -- any help would be appreciated?

Reply to
me here

it is .25 inch higher than the HOT mark on the dip stick

Reply to
me here

Should be no problem. There is a relief valve on the transmission. If the fluid expands too much, it leaks out. I once drove a 95 Avalon from Ontario to Florida with a extra quart installed (by the dealer) and other than leaking all over the I75, no problem.......

Reply to
M.J.S.

I suspect automatic transmissions are routinely over filled because some service personnel do not allow the unit to reach full operating temperature before checking. The fluid needs to be "hot" which according to Toyota takes minimum ten miles driving time. When the fluid is fully warmed or heated and has expanded, then one checks the final level on the dipstick. So a lot of people - certainly the ones who have had their transaxles serviced at Jiffy Lube (drive around the block then re check) - a lot of people are driving around with over filled transmissions - and it doesn't seem to do a lot of harm. Don't think it does any good either, though. Transmissions are expensive, and for me, I keep the level at the correct mark. If you're regularly changing the transmission fluid, as you should be, you may inadvertently overfill slightly. Here's my solution: AutoZone sells a simple siphon tube kit with a small plastic squeeze bottle. It doesn't really work, but only costs around $2. The little squeeze bottle just crushes and that's the end of it. But you also get a nice new, clean, long, narrow plastic tube which fits nicely into the transmission fill tube. This may not be the recommended method, but I just suck out the fluid into the tube, being careful the red liquid does not reach my mouth, then empty into a container by putting my finger over the end and then releasing. Once or twice ought to do it for .25". Then store the tube in a sealed plastic bag. Automatic transmissions are very sensitive to contamination so you don't want to introduce any dirt or grit next time. Chances are, after having done this once, you'll be less likely to overfill again, but if needed, can adjust the level perfectly. I always figure the marks on the dipstick were put there for a reason, may as well use them.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus