1996 Camry XLE V6 - Oil Change Tips Requested

Does anyone have any tips to minimize the mess created when the oil filter is removed on this engine. I see no way to capture the oil released when the filter is removed. I've tried stuffing rags below and around the filter but access to the base of the filter is so restriced that nothing seems to work. Oil will inevitably run down the engine and onto the exhaust system and heat shield. Then it drips oil out of the heat shield for 2-3 days and smokes until all the oil is burned off.

Please share your tips with me.

Reply to
Steve Murphree

There will always be some oil spilled. The only way to get it off is to wash it with soap and water (being careful not to get any water in sensitive components).

Reply to
Mark A

Reply to
Judy Sauer

Try a toyota filter anti drainback valves on many filter brands are defective

Reply to
ransley

The key is not to remove it at once. Use rags tight against the bottom of the filter and engine. Loosen just a little at a time to allow a small amount of oil to drain that can be soaked up by the rags. Rotate in a dry area of the rags. Repeat while cussing the poor design.

You'll notice less and less oil coming out after about 10 tries. There will still be quite a bit from the center tube. So be prepared to right the filter after taking it off the intake pipe.

Yeah, I know. Stinking design.

Reply to
johngdole

I can see you've been there and done that. I've changed oil in dozens of different automobiles during my 52 years on this planet, but I've never seen such a poor filter placement on such a fine automobile. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.

Reply to
Steve Murphree

== Try letting it drain longer - at least 30 minutes. With my 4 cylinder it drains over night. Not one drop from the filter, whereas once I removed the filter right away and had the spilled oil you describe. BTW my anti drainback valve works just fine. Still, waiting a while solves the problem.

Reply to
Daniel