1997 rear brakes

My 1997 Camry LE 4 is making a ticking sound from the left rear wheel. I am assuming the brake shoes are wearing out. I have 95,000 miles on it and bought it at 60,000 miles. Prior to me taking the wheel and drum off, does anyone have any suggestions and/or instructions for the job? Can the shoes be replaced without the brake tool? I have done disc brakes before, but not drum brakes.

Reply to
badgolferman

I doubt you need shoes..mine are original with 180,000 on a 97...still have 2/3 of the lining left. LIft the car, rotate the wheel and see what you hear. Pull the drum and use some brake parts cleaner spray to clean them up...Maybe a spring broke?

Reply to
ROBMURR

I tried to pull the drum this morning, but it is stuck on. I hit it with a rubber mallet a bunch of times, but it wouldn't break loose. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
badgolferman

mine were stuck too. I had to back off the adjuster via the plug on the drum. I also had to use two bolts in the drum face tightening them to force the drum off the shoes. I dont recall what size bolts were needed, they were in my box of nuts and bolts...

Reply to
ROBMURR