1998 Camry - Braking Problem

Hi Everyone,

I have a new problem with my 98 Camry and hope someone in this forum can help me. The problem is that when I brake while going around 60 MPH or higher, the car shakes. This does not occur if braking at lower speeds. I took a look at the brake pads and rotor and both look OK. Any ideas?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Warped rotors (most likely) possibly in combination with worn suspension components. You can't see warped rotors with the naked eye; you need a runout indicator to prove it.

I think the most common cause of warped rotors is not using a torque wrench when tightening lug nuts. It can also be caused by differential cooling of the rotors by keeping the brakes hard on after a sudden stop from highway speeds.

Reply to
Nobody Important

In addition to the above, it is also possible that the wheels are so out of balance and wobble so badly at 60 mph that they affect the braking.

Reply to
Mark A

Thanks much for your reply.

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

You MAY have enough "meat" (thickness) left on your rotors to have them turned, but it's not very likely....it probably calls for new rotors. Good luck.

Reply to
mack

I replaced my Camry pads with organic pads recommended by the car parts store. Also turned the rotors. A few weeks later I got the pulsating pedal. Seems that if you use anything but the OEM semi- metallic pads, they do not dissipate the heat and cause the rotors to warp. Re-turned the rotors and used Toyota OEM pads and had no further trouble.

The same th> Hi Everyone,

Reply to
Wayne55dud