1998 Camry Computer Question

The PC in my car is supposedly dead. Chipmunks chewed through the wires... And now that the wires are back where they should be, the car still doesn't run right and the computer is supposedly the cause according to the shop. Is it possible for a 1998 Camry to start (even if barely) with a dead computer?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Is it possible for a 1998 Camry to start (even if barely) with a dead computer? ~~~~~~~~~ No. The ECM controls too many essential functions, right down to checking for spark at each engine revolution. Since they rarely go bad, best bet, find one used from a wrecking yard, online or local. Actually, shouldn't even be difficult to change - look under the glove compartment.

Reply to
Daniel

Thank you for the info... Do you think it is possible for it to be partially shorted out? The car I have was running as if it had bad gas. Couldn't hit the pedal more than about 5% or it would stall and it would stall if you let go of the pedal too... Just curious if it could possibly be the computer - especially since that is what the repair shop is charging me to have replaced.

What caused the problem you ask? Chipmunks chewing the wiring harness near the Idle Air Control system. Ate straight through the wires.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Yes, the ECU can be bad and some functions may work and some not. When the wires were chewed through there were no doubt shorts in unknown circuits that could cause wierd symptoms. You can possibly find a used one in a local salvage yard or there are online salvage yards and new OEM parts online as well. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92