1998 Camry exhaust questions

Our 98 camry, V6 has had a louder noise coming from the from of the exhaust lately so I brought it in to a KOST Tire and Muffler shop.

After inspecting, they said there is a hole in the flex pipe, that is where the sound is coming from, gaskets are rusted etc, if they take off that first part, from manifold to end of catalytic converter, the clamps may break that attaches to the next art of the pipe that goes back to the muffler. If they take of that clamp by the muffler that clamp may break and I would need a whole new muffler, so they basically wanted to sell me an entire exhaust system for $1383.00 from exhaust manifold to tailpipe.

Wow.

The front pipe was quoted at $619.89. Mid pipe $198.95, muffler $260.00, gaskets $13.99, labor not included.

So I go home and look up online the front pipe, I find one for $270 and then another one (California emissions) for $350.00.

I didn't think my car would fall into the California emissions since I live in NY, but looking under the hood it seems it is a California car (still confused on if I'm reading that right, or if it means I need the california front pipe.

My question, should I order the piece myself (after I find out which one I need) and try this myself? Or get a second opinion? Thanks

Reply to
smk17

Take it to a good independent shop, preferably one that uses NAPA parts. If the system is old they may well have to replace everything, but you might get lucky and even if you don't it should cost you under a grand. They can also tell you if the car is CA spec or not.

Reply to
Leftie

Get some muffler repar goo for 6.95. Yes those muffler shops will take your money and wont save any of your system, I had a hole in my muffler, used goo 6 yrs ago and it still fine.

Reply to
ransley

I live in Maine, USA and I just had my flex pipe replaced and it was $107 including labor. Did the person at you shop wear a mask? I have a

1999 Camry CE 4 with 182000 miles.
Reply to
norm46

For the original poster: don't listen to whoever suggested "muffler repar goo" for a bad flex pipe. They are near the manifold and get too hot.

Reply to
Leftie

I believe California Emissions cars are sold not only in California but New York and Massachusetts. So you have to buy pipes meeting "California" standards or you may not be able to pass the next inspection.

If it's > So I go home and look up online the front pipe, I find one for $270

Reply to
johngdole

FINAL VERDICT

Took it to my local repair shop, $269 for front pipe (which includes catalytic converter) and labor.

KOST Tire and Muffler is a rip off. They wanted $619 for that part alone. Stay away from chain store repair shops. Which I'm sure a lot of you already knew.

Reply to
smk17