1998 camry oil sludge

i'm having some of the symptoms of the oil sludge issue. anyone have experience on putting in a claim for the dealer to reimburse you? any info would be great. thanks.

-c

Reply to
aptpupil

hm, I'm not sure anyone will cover anything on a '98 for you. Maybe with a newer car yes.

Reply to
Electra

The 98's were included in the extended warranty program dealing with sludge, but I don't recall the elapsed years and mileage limits on the offer.

Reply to
Mark A
8 years 80K miles, whichever comes first. If you're over 100k miles, you're way outta luck. The sludge issue is effectively dead for all cars produced before the year 2000.
Reply to
CamryMan98

I use Mobil 1 synthetic on my 98 V6, and of course I have had absolutely no sign of sludge. I would even venture a guess that putting in synthetic oil might even help an existing sludge problem (but no guarantee).

Reply to
Mark A

Yeah, the Toyota Sludge warranty was only extended to 8 years. If you are out of that then it's SOL.

The problem still exists that in 2004 Toyota reduced the oil change interval down to 5000 miles from 7500 miles. So today, even a Lexus needs a change at 5000 miles or you risk sludging up the engine!!

Try using synthetics and use a shorter change interval ( i'm having some of the symptoms of the oil sludge issue. anyone have

Reply to
johngdole