1998 Camry Spark Plug Question

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction here...

I was changing the spark plugs to my Camry when I noticed that one of them was really wet with oil. I don't see any oil leaks anywhere though.

I am thinking that I will probably need to replace some seals. Can anyone point out which ones?

Thanks much.

-joe

Reply to
Joe

What was wet - the insulator, the threads, or the electrodes? If it is the external portion of the plug that is wet with oil (insulator or threads) then it is likely a spark plug seal leak. You did not mention which engine. The four cylinder has spark plug tubes that screw into the head. These are unlikely to be leaking at the bottom, but they are sealed at the top with a rubber grommet. The grommet may not be sealing properly. The six cylinder use the same method for sealing the spark plug tubes. Toyota calls the six cylinder sealing ring a "Spark Plug Tube Gasket" but it is the same thing. See:

If it is the electrode (center post of the spark plug that protrudes into the combustion chamber), then you may have bad rings or valve guides on that cylinder. This would not be a pleasant prospect.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White