1998 Camry starts, but then engine dies

All, Hoping someone has some insight into this problem. I have had this problem twice in the last 3 months:

I can start the car but if I don't continue to press the gas pedal, the engine dies.

If I keep pressing the gas pedal long enough (about 2-3 minutes), then the engine will stay on.

If I turn the car off a few minutes after that, and then turn it on again, it works fine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote: I can start the car but if I don't continue to press the gas pedal, the

== Replace the idle air control valve under the front of the throttle body. See:

Daniel

Thanks, Daniel.

Expensive little gadget - almost $ 200.00 OEM.

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

You can try to clean it first. Camrys are notorious for fouled up IACs. Just cleaned mine with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush. Works like new (at least will be for a while). Google on how to do this.

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks for the tip.. I'll try it

-Joe.