1998 Camry timing belt problem

Just had timing belt replaced, along with new tensioners. As soon as I got it back, I noticed a louder roar than usual. It sounds like it is in the general area of the timing belt. I notice it more when accelerating. Anyone have this problem before. Any suggestions to correct the problem will be appreciated.

Reply to
JAG

Just got my Camry back from having the timing belt and tensioners changed. It runs fine, but I immediately noticed a roaring noise. It sounds like it is coming from the timing belt area. Can the belt be put on too tight, even though it has a self tensioner? Anyone had this problem before? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Reply to
JAG

Let the shop that did it ride in it and fix it. Could be too loose...was it done with Toyota parts?

Reply to
ROBMURR

Assuming you have a 4cyl, yeah those things can be a pain. They're loud as hell if they are too tight, and loud as hell if they're too loose. And it doesn't really have a 'self tensioner'. There is a spring that keeps tension, but once you have tension set, you tighten the tensioner to the block so it can't move anyway. A lot of guys tighten the hell out of that thing before they tighten the tensioner down.

Reply to
qslim

My guess, as others have suggested, is that the belt needs to be tensioned correctly. You'll have to convince the shop to redo the work. Will be very similar to doing everything again, but the parts are already installed and already new - and yes, they really should be genuine Toyota parts. Loosen the tensioner pulley, install a new spring, and apply significant force by prying against the tensioner pulley with the adjustment bolt loosened. When I did this, I pulled upward on the tensioner pulley arm with a larger "hook" tool from a hook and pick set - used both arms, pulled smoothly but very firmly - enough to move the whole engine back slightly - did this three times in succession to really apply a good strong tension to the timing belt - enough to last for 60,000 miles. Then release the tensioner pulley, - let the new spring hold the tension, then tighten the adjustment bolt. Point is, the tensioner pulley spring is not sufficient by itself to tension the belt. Installing that way will leave the belt too loose and it can vibrate against the cover - possibly the noise you're hearing. If you pry against the tensioner and tighten, it will be too tight. To get the "Goldilocks effect" - "just right" - pry against the belt tensioner and then release, allowing the spring to maintain the correct belt tension - and always use a new spring. With a new belt, new tensioner and idler pulleys, new water pump, and new timing cover gaskets, plus oil seals (cam, crank, and oil pump O-ring and shaft seal) all should be like new in there - quiet, smooth and powerful, because the new properly adjusted belt should bring the ignition timing back to original factory spec. (the distributor runs off the back of one cam - driven by the belt)

Reply to
Daniel