1998 Camry V6 Timing Belt & Water Pump

Threaded View

I have 200,000 km or 125,000 miles on my 98 Camry. It's a V6 and is
made in Japan.

I have NEVER changed timing belt on it.

The water pump was changed under warranty at 52,000km.

Should I change both the water pump and timing belt now. In toyota
maintenance schedule there is is no mention of changing timing belt or
water pump except under severe running condtions.What should I do.

If I keep driving and the belt breaks is it going to cause any damage
to the engine.

Also I have drained transmission oil every 48,000 km. I never dropped
the pan though to clean the filter and magnets. Should I do that now
and should I also drain differential fluid.The differential fluid was
never drained. Also what kind of fluid is used in differential in this
camry.

Also at this milage what knid of high mileage engine oil you suggest
to use.I use castrol 5W30.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Re: 1998 Camry V6 Timing Belt & Water Pump

According to the Gates Guide ( http://tinyurl.com/7jrbx ) your Camry
has an interference engine. I would guess that the dealer replaced the
timing belt when they replaced the water pump (in my opinion they
should have). The Gates guide say that the timing belt should be
replaced every 90,000 miles. According to the Toyota maintenance
schedule, 90,000 miles is the replacement interval if the car is
subjected to "Extensive Idling or Low-Speed Driving for Long
Distances." The on-line maintenace schedule does not specify a routine
replacement interval, but it also doesn't go past 120,000 miles. If
the dealer replaced the timing belt when the water pump was replaced,
then you are well within the recommended severe service replacement
interval. If they did not replace the belt at that time, you are past
the severve service replacement interval. If it was my car, I'd have
it replaced as soon as it was convenient. Having the belt fail can be
catastrophic.

 If it breaks, it is likely there will be engine damage.

Good questions for your dealer. It it was my car, I'd buy the fluids
at the Toyota dealer. You might want to look over the information
available at http://tinyurl.com/ywaztz .

If the car is running well, why change brands?

Ed

Re: 1998 Camry V6 Timing Belt & Water Pump

cut a hole in cover.
get a good look at timing belt.
my 99 v6 camry has 160 k miles
wife's 99 v6 camry had 120 k miles
bought both new
let the force be with you

Re: 1998 Camry V6 Timing Belt & Water Pump

That engine should be non-interference. The old Gates catalog had it
correct.

You should replace the timing belt at 90K miles if you pay a mechanic
to do it. For those who do our own work, 5yr/60K miles is better. By
50-60K miles the idlers start to dry up and the belt may start to
stretch and the oil seals and water pump start to seep, not to mention
the rear bank valve cover gasket leaks onto the PS pump, making people
think the PS pump's gone bad. That's why I say OEM parts for the
timing job offer no real advantage except to lighten the wallet.

Yes, do replace the water pump when you have the cover off. Ask for a
"package deal" that includes the following items. Should be around
$700-800 at the dealer. I prefer Gates belts and hoses, IMO best in
class. Do use Toyota coolant with distilled water.

Also time to change plugs, check out the NGK Iridium-IX or Laser
Iridium. Good stuff.

www.gates.com
www.airtexproducts.com
www.ngksparkplugs.com

I'd replace parts like the following (older prices from www.rockauto.com)
GATES TCK257 timing component kit $89.79
FEL-PRO TCS45890 crank seal $6.27
FEL-PRO TCS45889 cam seal set $8.55
GATES K060410 Alt/AC belt $13.09
GATES K040345 PS belt $8.61
ASCO/AISIN Part # 1610029085 water pump $61.79 (I use Airtex pumps
from the local NAPA store)
Total ~$188 + shipping

If needed: FEL-PRO VS50471R valve cover set (with spark plug tube
seals) $30.79

As far as the ATF and strainer go, I would drop the pan and clean off
the black metal sludge on the bottom. Clean and replace the magnets at
the correct places without blocking the strainer opening. The strainer
catches metal flakes and can't be effectively cleaned with compressed
air as some suggest, so replace the strainer and gasket with a Fram
ATF kit for about USD$20. Measure the amount of ATF you drain out and
refill to the correct level.

Yes, drain and refill the differential as well. That year of Aisin
transmission the filler tube should fill both the tranny and
differential (at least in the US) with GM Dexron II/III.

Re: 1998 Camry V6 Timing Belt & Water Pump

Are you saying that the current Gates Guide (see
http://tinyurl.com/7jrbx ) is wrong? It indicates that the 1998 Camry
V-6 is an interference engine.

Ed

Re: 1998 Camry V6 Timing Belt & Water Pump

I think it is. Because the old catalog says it's non-interference. I
think 1MZFE only went interference in the post-2002 generation where
it also got VVT. The catalog was from some out sourced company that
supplied the data.

Re: 1998 Camry V6 Timing Belt & Water Pump

The 99 Camry 6 cyl. is_non-interference. Period.

Re: 1998 Camry V6 Timing Belt & Water Pump

That's what I thought for a 3.0L engine that produces only ~195
HP.  ;)

Site Timeline